Judas

Normal_sc_music_videos_judas_music_video_capturas_2831829_large
Jesus (left), Lady Gaga, and Judas (Right) in a bathtub. Im guessing signifying her struggle between the two?

Lady Gaga has hit home with this one. Judas, her newest smash hit single has caused controversy, conflict, judgement, curiosity, and outrage worldwide. What does this song mean? Is it against religion? What are her intentions behind this? These are all just some of the questions that constantly flew through our minds as we listen to the ear-captivating, beat thudding song.

For me personally, i've struggled with this song. I honestly love the beat, the melody, but as i've learnt we shouldnt be listening to this kind of music. But knowing Lady Gaga, she always have hidden meanings, with other intentions. But what no one knows is whether if she's speaking the truth? bending her meaning? no one knows by Christ alone. But lets take a closer look at the song itself shall we?
JUDAS - LADY GAGA

Ohohohoh
I'm in love with Judas, Judas

Ohohohoh
I'm in love with Judas, Judas

Judas! Juda-as Judas! Juda-as
Judas! Juda-as Judas! GAGA

[Lady Gaga - Verse 1]
When he comes to me, I am ready
I'll wash his feet with my hair if he needs
Forgive him when his tongue lies through his brain
Even after three times, he betrays me

I'll bring him down, bring him down, down
A king with no crown, king with no crown

[Chorus]

I'm just a Holy Fool, oh baby he's so cruel
But still I'm in love with Judas, baby
I'm just a Holy Fool, oh baby he's so cruel
But still I'm in love with Judas, baby

Ohohohoh
I'm in love with Judas, Judas

Ohohohoh
I'm in love with Judas, Judas

Judas! Juda-as Judas! Juda-as
Judas! Juda-as Judas! GAGA

[Lady Gaga - Verse 2]
I couldn't love a man so purely
Even prophets forgave his crooked way
I've learned love is like a brick you can
Build a house or sink a dead body
[ Lyrics from: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/l/lady_gaga/judas.html ]
I'll bring him down, bring him down, down
A king with no crown, king with no crown

[Chorus]
I'm just a Holy Fool, oh baby he's so cruel
But still I'm in love with Judas, baby
I'm just a Holy Fool, oh baby he's so cruel
But still I'm in love with Judas, baby

Ohohohoh
I'm in love with Judas, Judas

Ohohohoh
I'm in love with Judas, Judas

[Bridge]
In the most Biblical sense,
I am beyond repentance
Fame hooker, prostitute wench, vomits her mind
But in the cultural sense
I just speak in future tense
Judas kiss me if offenced,
Or wear an ear condom next time

I wanna love you,
But something's pulling me away from you
Jesus is my virtue,
And Judas is the demon I cling to
I cling to

[Chorus]
I'm just a Holy Fool, oh baby he's so cruel
But still I'm in love with Judas, baby
I'm just a Holy Fool, oh baby he's so cruel
But still I'm in love with Judas, baby

Ohohohoh
I'm in love with Judas, Judas

Ohohohoh
I'm in love with Judas, Judas

Judas! Juda-as Judas! Juda-as
Judas! Juda-as Judas! GAGA

Here it is. The complete set of lyrics. When the song first song came out, i stumbled upon THIS LINK, a complete analysis of most the lines in the song. It talks about lines, how some of it isnt even correct. For instance, "wash his feet with my hair if he needs" In the bible, it says that hair would be used to DRY one's feet, not wash.

38and standing behind him at his feet, weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears and wiped them with the hair of her head and kissed his feet and anointed them with the ointment. Luke 7:38

"After Three Times He Betrays Me"
Again, inaccurate, how Peter DENIES Jesus three times, but doesnt betray Jesus, whereas Judas himself betrays him.

"I Am Beyond Repentance"
According to the scripture, no one is "beyond repentance" everyone needs to be saved, everyone needs Christ to inherit salvation.

7Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance. Luke 15:7

There are MANY MANY more in the link i gave above, so if you'd like you can check it out there. Also, my youth pastor wrote a little Q&A response on our ASK US blog for our youth service, the link is HERE with his thoughts. But basically he talks about how we should avoid this because it isn't God glorifying.

I've been looking more and more into this song, watching her interviews, and just trying to understand this interesting creative being who is Lady Gaga. Throughout the release of the song, she's said the song is about forgiveness and perseverance through struggle, but with her latest interview, she said that it isnt against any religion, not meant to bash others or make it a "biblical lesson". Its a metaphor as they explained. She said that the story to her is about her loving her ex-boyfriend who has betrayed her. I can see and understand that kinda from that view. But something that boggles me is... why with this metaphor. She also stated how she loves biblical imagery, so maybe thats why. But again, the thought comes to, is she speaking the truth? or as my friend said, we enjoys this "blurry-ness" so based on the reaction she gets, she can bend it to her liking.

Also, something that i've never thought of came to me today by the same friend. Not saying this is valid, but he said that Music is Art. There are a variety of ways to interpret it, and you can interpret it yourself and make it your own. We dont have to take it literally. For instance, i kinda can relate to the song, with its literal means. Not to the extreme, but the fact "im in love with Judas" or as she sings "Jesus is my virtue, but Judas is the demon i cling to". I dont think many people are in that extreme, but for me myself and i think everyone goes through temptation. We are Christians obviously value Christ, and he is our virtue, but Judas, or i guess we can say sin, temptation, may it be greed, sex, lust, materialism, is the "demon" or lure we cling to. As Christians, we are CONSTANTLY struggling with sin. And honestly, i can say that there are parts of me that have those few strings that are still attached to sin, and im struggling to get rid of it. So i guess that could be what she means by "The song is about forgiveness and perseverance through struggle".

Anyways, back to the whole Music Is Art. Does that mean we can enjoy it? Even if it may have a bad meaning, we still enjoy art dont we? At the museums, at the galleries. I've watched the video almost 10 times today, just trying to understand the story, look at all the symbols (since im studying semiotics in english anyways ha), and trying to understand the meaning, and the deeper meaning behind it. I have to say she is a creative person with a mind full of who-knows-what, but sometimes i feel that she needs to get her message across a bit more clear. Its an interesting video, i suggest you check it out and see what you think about it... i still dont FULLY understand it, but i have an urge to find out.

Judas-34_large
she did talk about some "cultural baptism". Is this what she means? what does she mean..

Just to clear it up. Im not saying its good to listen to, im not exactly saying avoid it... im not sure where i stand, but im just expressing my thoughts and opinion upon the subject. What are your thoughts?

Here's the video:


To end off, i just came across this verse. What do you think now?

verse of the day: Phillipians 4:8
8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

Comments

Popular Posts