Eight Months Ago & Now

Its 2:03am, its my last night in residence, and my first year here at Guelph is officially coming to an end. The past few weeks i've been thinking and reflecting on the eight months i've spent here, what i've learnt, how i've grown and how God has worked in my life. I think i've summed it up into three topics, categories, lessons, take it however you want.

Home Away From Home
I remember so clearly how I felt the weeks before I left for university. I felt like I had just established the perfect community and group of friends in Richmond Hill, at school, at church, and everything just felt right and the next thing you knew it, I was in a different city, with new faces, and a whole lot of nothing. It was definitely scary, but I knew that this would be a clean slate, to make new friends, to build a new community, but I still wasn't able to let go of the "perfect community" I had just found back at home. This left me depressed and lonely. I felt like there would not be anyone else, no other group that could replace what I had at home. That is, until I found GACF (Guelph Asian Christian Fellowship). As time went by, I started to build my community here at Guelph, especially with ACF, and they have shown me hospitality, they have challenged me to grow, and they have made memories for me. What was truly amazing was that how I felt that "perfect community" within the first few weeks/months or so compared to at home, where it took me 12 years to find that. I learnt that when you open your eyes to the people around you, you'll see how great other people can really be. If you keep holding on to something else you'll never want to go out and explore and find more treasures. I am so glad and happy that God has blessed me with such amazing brothers and sisters in Christ, not only them but all the other friends I have made here. I have to thank my ACF family for being such a delight, an encouragement and an example to me as to how I should live as a follower and for watching over me whenever I needed it. Eight months ago, I was saying "get me out of here" but now all i'm thinking is "how can I stay longer".

Rely On God
The first few months here were horrendous. Especially since everything was new to me, I had nothing and no one, but it ended up pushing me towards God. They always say when you have nothing, and its the end of the line you turn to God, although he should be the one I turn to first. In all my meltdowns and struggles, I really learnt to pray to God. He's all I had. I remember coming back from class and immediately praying, constantly making time to vent and place my anxiety on him. It was most definitely comforting and reassuring to be reminded of his presence and guidance in my life. Eight months ago, I tried my best to rely on myself, thinking I could do it all, but now i've realized that I am nothing without him and it is when I rely on Him, I am able to do all things. 

God Works
The more I relied on God, the more I saw him working in my life. From the small things, from doing my devotions and having it speak perfectly to me, to the tougher situations I faced with the Safari job and considering switching programs, and also the scary things, such as sharing the gospel to strangers. God really works, and I saw him work in real time. These opportunities were all wonderful and perfect blessings assigned to me by God. Each of them has taught me something new. There is nothing more breath-taking, encouraging and inspiring than seeing God work in your life. He's been there with me from the start and I'm so glad that he has held on and hasn't left me. Eight months ago, I was scared, and worried, but now I know and strongly believe that I have a powerful God on my side who is 100% real and true.

I have grown so very much these past eight months. It has been a rollar-coaster ride, with tears, laughter, hard work, and fun and i've definitely learnt a lot about myself, about faith and about life. I never thought university was going to stretch me as much as it did in all different components. I have to confess that the past few years I haven't felt like I was growing in my faith, but being here, with the community, the challenges and the trials have really sparked my growth again and it feels absolutely great. I'm looking forward to what the summer brings, to seeing my wonderful community next semester and what God has in store for me now and later. Eight months ago, I sailed into uncharted waters alone, but now, although I am still in uncharted waters but am firmly anchored with God and with friends, constantly growing and learning. 

Comments

Popular Posts