Lent 2013


Its that time of year again. Its time for Lent! For those who do not know, lent is a forty day period before Easter, where we give up something that we hold dear to our heart so in turn we can spend more time with the Lord. We are often cluttered with errands, work, assignments, who knows what. Yet we never have time for the Lord, the God who created us, unconditionally loves us, and yearns to have a relationship with us.

I've never really done lent, but last year I started with 40 days without twitter. I dont really remember how I felt throughout the period, but i think it was definitely hard at first, but better as time went on. But this year, I've really decided to kick it up a notch and lent something bigger. It's all out or nothing. I've really started and understand and learn the importance of my faith, and where it should stand on my list of priorities. Its difficult to keep it at the forefront when you have so much going on.

That's why i've decided that i will be giving up my television shows for lent throughout the next forty days. This includes online as well as TV TV (meaning cable). This is going to be an interesting journey because a) reading week is next week, so i'll be TV free while at home. b) i watch several tv shows...

The New Normal
2 Broke Girls
Big Bang Theory
Parks and Recreation
Cougar Town
Dancing With The Stars
The Voice
Modern Family
New Girl
How I Met Your Mother
Pretty Little Liars
Glee
Suits
Smash
...

Now some of these are 30 min, some are full hour and a few are even two hour shows. Lent consists of 40 days, which is about six weeks, thats six episodes of each show. If all shows were on within the next forty days, according to my calculations... i will be freeing up 4,320 mins of my life for God. That's 72 hours, thats 3 full days of free time. Even with the calculations, 3 days is only 8% of my 40 day period. This really isnt a lot. And that's only my online TV. God and my relationship with him is worth so much more than all this. I should be able to give up something this simple for someone so great right?

There's so much you can do with the new time you've freed up. From prayer, to worship, to scripture study, to just leisure reading, doing some exercise, whatever it is, let it be for your own benefit, but more importantly for your relationship with God.

I was reading a book on sunday night and there was a challenge called "margin". It basically challenged us to free up some space for God. Our lives are filled with clutter and we can never catch a breath. Do you have margin in your life? Try waking up 10 mins early to spend time in silence, or cutting something unnecessary just so you can relax and take a break for a bit. Find some down time for yourself and for God.

Keep me in your prayers throughout the 40 days. I feel like this will be a rough ride for me, but I'm so sure that if i successfully complete this, I can really get a lot out of it. Are you lenting something for the next forty days? I challenge you to step it up, and give up something that takes up a lot of your time, that is an unnecessary distraction to you.

verse of the day: Matthew 6:16-18
16 “When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 17 But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, 18 so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Comments

Popular Posts