Commitment


Finally i've been able to begin my "40 Days in the Word" booklet by Rick Warren, so i've decided that I'm taking a short break from my typical daily devotions routine to go through this, try the new techniques and ways of reading, loving, and applying scripture in hopes that it will benefit me in the future.

"Pronounce It" is the first technique they are implementing, and it involves, reading through a verse, multiple times, exaggerating one word at a time as you go through it. By doing it, it provokes one to really think through each word, to really digest the material instead of just flying by and taking the initial thought/meaning they get.

Day 1
being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. - Philippians 1:6
Coming across this was interesting because I had just previously read the book of Philippians, so it was interesting to go back to again, and maybe i'll get something new out of it a second time.

"being confident" - means you are firm, there is no fear and you are 100% ready, courageous
"he who began a good work" - someone initiated it, sparked the good work
"carry it on" - to continue, to commit
"completion" - to the very end
"until the day of Christ Jesus" - to the very end, not just a typical end, but the end, when the Lord returns to earth, shows how full the commitment really is.

After reading this through, I think it is rather applicable in different senses, for one, I must learn to remain faithful, to others and especially to God. So many times as sinners and human beings, we fall short of God's glory, yet he remains faithful (2 Timothy 2:13). Remaining faithful also entails the commitment we have to Christ, that all things should be kept, "carried on" until his return. Let us not fall into temptation, or dive deep into the desires of the world and the flesh. This verse is a good reminder of our devotion to Him, to discern his will in our lives.

My Prayer: Heavenly Father, there's a lot going on in my life right now, and I have to learn to be confident in the decisions I make, to conduct myself worthy of the gospel no matter the circumstance, and whatever i choose or go with, to carry it out, and stay committed. Lord, teach and guide me, remind me of your faithfulness and love, and may I do all things for your glory and honour. Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts