Leave Everything Behind

Day 17
17 As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. “Good teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?” 18 “Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone. 19 You know the commandments: ‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, you shall not defraud, honor your father and mother.’” 20 “Teacher,” he declared, “all these I have kept since I was a boy.” 21 Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” 22 At this the man’s face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth. 23 Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!” 24 The disciples were amazed at his words. But Jesus said again,“Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God! 25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.” 26 The disciples were even more amazed, and said to each other, “Who then can be saved?” 27 Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God.” 28 Then Peter spoke up, “We have left everything to follow you!” 29 “Truly I tell you,” Jesus replied, “no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel 30 will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age: homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fields—along with persecutions—and in the age to come eternal life. 31 But many who are first will be last, and the last first.” - Mark 10:17-31
S - is there a sin to confess?
P - is there a promise to claim?
A - is there an attitude to change?
C - is there a command to obey?
E - is there an example to follow?
P - is there a prayer to pray?
E - is there an error to avoid?
T - is there a truth to believe?
S - is there something to praise God for?

S - I think in this situation, it's different for everyone, one has to think about what is holding them back for God, if they are living fully for him. I think myself personally, it would be trying to control everything, trying to have the things I want, selfishness. 

P - Jesus tells us that all things are possible with God, but not possible with just man.

A - We have to change our attitude of selfishness, to an attitude of selflessness. The rich man asked for how he could inherit eternal life, he talked about all the things he's been doing, he's only thinking about himself. But how did Jesus respond? Jesus told him to drop everything, sell it all and follow him. Jesus says wealthy people have a difficult time entering the kingdom of God, because they've become so invested in their stuff, their lives and most importantly, themselves. We have to realize that we are nothing, all things are a gracious gift from God. Nothing is earned, nothing we did to deserve, it all comes from above. 

C - Just as discussed in Day 15, to take up the cross daily, again Jesus here is commanding us to drop and surrender everything, denying ourselves and all things before the Lord to follow Him. 

E - I think the disciples here are the examples to follow. Earlier in the book, God calls for his first disciples, saying he will make them fishers of men, and "at once they left their nets and followed him." (Matthew 4:20). At once they left, and left everything behind. I always question myself if I can do the same.

P - I pray for the ability to let go of all things for God. 

E - inheriting the kingdom of God and salvation isn't done through works. The rich man listed all thing things he did, showing he didnt sin, thinking it was all works, that he could earn his way into heaven, but that's not how it works. Everything single thing is a gift, nothing can be earned, especially salvation. 

T - 29 “Truly I tell you,” Jesus replied, “no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel 30 will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age: homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fields—along with persecutions—and in the age to come eternal life. 31 But many who are first will be last, and the last first.” (Mark 10:29-31)

S - Praise God for his constant reminder of surrender and sacrifice, giving us a challenge to follow Him, pushing us to the limit. He is a good God, there's nothing to lose and you will only gain in his presence. 

Since that week of downward spirals and doubt about my future and my career, I was really able to learn this lesson, what it meant to fully surrender to God. It took me the full week to be able to fully believe when I said "if you want me to jump, then i'll jump". Eyes closed, all in for God. To not fear of whatever lies ahead, knowing God has it in control. Reading this passage, was just a great reminder of the lesson I've learn, and what it means to follow Christ. 

My Prayer: God, i've chosen to follow you. When I say that, I mean it wholeheartedly, so if you ask me to leave everything behind and go, push me towards that place of surrender and sacrifice. Change my mindset to one that is selfless rather than selfish. Thank you for the challenge, as it will strengthen me. You've given me the ultimate gift of life and salvation, there isn't anything I wouldn't and shouldn't do for you. Amen. 

Comments

Popular Posts