taking the next step.

For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you. We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives, 10 so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, 11 being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, 12 and giving joyful thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of his holy people in the kingdom of light. 13 For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, 14 in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. 
Colossians 1:9-14
I read this passage a few days ago, and it really appealed to me. To be honest, i've felt like i havent been taking my faith serious enough, i've just been brushing it aside. I read the Word every day, but i never get the chance to reflect about it. I simply read it for the sake of reading it. I need to give more of my time to the Lord, to learn, to be taught, to listen, and to act on what he wants me to do.

I think that this passage really is telling me what to do, what to do next as a Christian. I've felt "stuck" in my faith, it feels like it hasn't been progressing and its been a while now, but seeing how mature some Christians can be and are, it just hits home, and i want to have that as well. From the verse, there are a few things that i think i should be doing. How will i carry it out? Thats a different story.

Ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will. (v.9)

I've always wanted to know God's will for me. Hearing his voice has been such a challenge, and in times where i don't feel like i got a reply, i end up doing what I want instead of what he wants. I think if i do end up spending more time with Him, i will have a stronger feel for what he wants. The bible, the scripture, is the only REAL TRUTH, its all word from God's spoken mouth, so everything i need to know is in there. I just need to study it more and truly dwell and reflect on what he has to say.

Live a life worthy of the Lord and please Him in every way. (v.10)

Am i living a life worthy of the Lord? Not semi worthy, not quarterly worthy, but FULLY. I try my best to do everything I can to please Him, and i really hope that i am reflecting his love and life through every deed and word. There are definitely still struggles and sins in my life that are attached, but i am working towards putting them to death. A life WORTHY of the Lord. Thats a big statement. Christ told us to pick up our cross and follow Him, to commit everything to Him (Luke 9:23). We are to devote and give our life back to Him because of how much he's loved us. His ultimate sacrifice. Are you willing to give up EVERYTHING? (Luke 14:33) I believe the first step to living a life worthy of the Lord is to be 110% committed and ready. Its all in or nothing.

Growing in the knowledge of God. (v.10)

Again, the passage once again refers to knowledge. And this knowledge is ONLY found in the bible, in the truth, if one doesn't put enough time and effort into knowing Christ, how do you expect to grow? Its like a friendship, a relationship, if you don't put any time into it, how do you expect the friendship to grow or bear fruit? I know for a fact that I haven't been putting in my part into the friendship.

Have great endurance and patience. (v.11)

Its been a month of university, and i have to say its been quite a rough ride. Overwhelming assignments and lectures, frustrations that come with not understanding concepts, and managing life independently as a young adult now, its extremely hard. Endurance and patience. God has promised us to never forsake us or leave us, there is nothing we should be afraid of if the King of Kings is on our side (Deuteronomy 31:6). I know with all my struggles, its easy to give up, it just seems so so much easier, and the fact is, it is, but its only when you fight it, endure through it, is when you grow (Romans 5:3-4).

Giving joyful thanks. (v.12)

Being thankful is so important. It humbles you, and i've learnt that being thankful really helps you realize how much God has loved us and blessed us. Nothing we have is ours, all given by God. And now with thanksgiving coming around, take some time and count your blessings. Truly see God's amazing and countless blessings. But more importantly, always rejoice and always be thankful, in all situations and circumstances, joyous or grief. God has given us obstacles, and blessings for a reason (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18). Rejoice, knowing that the Creator of the Universe is looking out for you.

but why?

 13 For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, 14 in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. 

Just doing this devotion, and really pouring my heart out onto my post, i've really come to realize that this really is what i need to do. I've been putting God lower and lower on my list of priorities, i've gotten so caught up with school that everything seems to have been left behind. Everything's been such a routine that i havent been getting anything out of it.

I want to grow. I want to be challenged. And i hope that this day forward. (this is a big statement) I hope that i can dedicate at least one hour to Christ. No distractions, no computer, no music, no friends, just Christ and I. I know that this is going to be extremely tough, because i honestly do find the bible a bit boring, but I hope God will push me and open my mind to be willing to learn.

One hour a day, i just have to cut down some of my TV watching time, and i'll have time. I always question, why do I have no problem with watching hours of television online, but when it comes to devotions and faith for twenty mins, i have no motivation?

If you're reading this, could you keep me in your prayers? This one hour a day is going to be challenging and i hope i can really make it daily so i can start back off where i left it, (dare i say) years ago.

verse of the day: Luke 14:33
33 In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples.

Comments

Popular Posts