Serving The Lord


good works doesn't lead to salvation.
but salvation should lead to good works.

good works cannot result in salvation. if it was measured like a meter, we would never be able to "good work" our way to heaven, we couldn't do enough because we have fallen short and have wrong God so much. But when we believe and have accepted Christ in our hearts, salvation is given to us, freely as a gift, and after we have received it, we should be thankful, and as we follow Christ, we learn to live out his live, which consists of doing good.

As people who have dedicated their lives to Christ, we are to worship and serve Him, glorifying his name with everything we do. But God has aided us in this as well. He's given us gifts, whether it be hospitality, or musical gifts, we've all be granted with a special something we can use to make his name known.

Also, serving Christ doesn't necessarily mean going overseas, for long term missions spreading and preaching the gospel. Serving Christ can be as simple as helping others, showing love, opening the door, stacking chairs, simple actions that help show God's love. Whatever you do for others, you do for Him. (Matthew 25:40) I've learnt that simple actions are enough to show God's love.

Here's a quick story, I'm sure i've told before. My first year i went to OJ for a missions trip with the natives in Quebec, i had this mentality that evangelism was spreading the gospel in an oral manner, strictly and directly, sin, Christ, love, death, blood, salvation, eternity. But this first year, i learned that it was much more than that. Through the four day camp we held, one of the kids, Donavon came in a day late, and i noticed his necklace and said that i found it rather interesting. So the camp went on, i continued to lead worship and just helping the kids, whether if it was waking up early to supervise them, or telling them bedtime stories before lights out. I never once explicitly talked about the whole gospel, being saved thing. I was just caring for them, doing what i could. By the end of the three days he was here, when they were leaving, I heard someone call my name. I turned around to see Donavon's dad, wanting to talk to me. He said "Donavon wanted you to have this". It was that necklace i saw on him earlier. It completely blew my mind. I couldn't believe it. I spent three days with this kid. He came in, seeing a stranger, and in just three days time he was willing to give something up for me? I don't know how much it meant to him, but the simple fact, that at his age, he could give something up, to a stranger? I was shocked and surprised. My simple actions made him feel something, and thats the most powerful thing i've learnt.

How are you serving the Lord in your everyday lives?

verse of the day: John 12:26
26 Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me.

Comments

Popular Posts