Truth?

Newton__s_bubble_cradle_by_pshoudini-d4qlyf4_large

14 “Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me.2 In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. 4 And you know the way to where I am going.” 5 Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” 6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him andhave seen him.”

8 Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.”9 Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. 11 Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves.

12 “Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father. 13 Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.

John 14:1-14

I was able to read through this passage several times throughout the day, and i think thats extremely necessary when we are trying to understand scripture, to fully break it down and understand each word and phrase. I also think that if one has a open heart and mind to receiving the word, it will speak and be understood different each time.

When I read verses 5-6, it immediately brought me back to a discussion we had at retreat, when someone brought up the question, "how do we know Christianity is the true faith?" I confess and admit that i've had my doubts, and im sure we all have. We may question, what if this isnt the "right" way, what if after we pass, there was no heaven, it was all a trick, what if the pastors knew about something and were just tricking us all along? How can i be sure that Christianity is what i should believe in? And as we were discussing, these are a few points that came up. Firstly, i've learnt that out of all the different religions, from Buddhism to Hinduism, that Christianity seems to be the only INVITING others to come see what this "relationship" is about. We also brought up a second point, that was that Christianity is not self-oriented. Many other religions are based on doing deeds/goods to gain blessings or goodness. Whereas in Christianity, Christ has already died for you, and he presents each and every one of us with the gift of eternal life, and it is only if we accept and take the gift, is then that we become saved. And therefore like in verse 12, we do these good works not to gain salvation or approval, but out of thanksgiving, out of commitment, as we follow Christ's footsteps.

side note: I myself am a Christian and believe that through Christ, believing that he died on the cross, and has forgiven me of my sins has saved me from the consequences of sins, and has granted me eternal life. Although i may say that Christianity is the "right" (lack of better word) way, it does not mean that all other religions are wrong, there are definitely things about other religions we can learn from and follow.

Verse 8 also stood out to me. Many many of us are like Philip, we are constantly looking for more. Again back to the retreat discussion, we talked about proof and facts. The world is all about facts, especially the science realm of things, we need proof we need evidence to believe that something is true, but this is faith, not science. There are so many crazy questions that we are curious about, for instance, how the dinosaurs fit into the whole seven days of creation, but over the years of being a Christian i've learnt that sometimes, its just not humanly possible for one to fully understand all this. We can go ask the father when we see him one day! Its hard to believe like that, blindly, but that is faith! Believing without seeing. Its impossible to have all the questions answered. I think this also goes for a test, that with these curiosities, these things that dont fully make sense, its another type of test of our faith. If we can continue to follow him, knowing that he is greater and has plans for us, even though many of our questions are not answered.

People are constantly afraid of change, of the unknown, but are you willing to dig deeper and follow Christ and let him take the reigns of your life?

verse of the day: Ephesians 2:8-10
8 Forby grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing;it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast.10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

Comments

Popular Posts