real sacrifice.

Coming and visiting Hong Kong, we were really lucky. We have a nice place to live and stay, the transportation, the subway is right outside the house within a minute's walk, and the family we're staying with also has a maid. To be honest, everytime, I feel guilty for "using" her, I feel like its as if she's a slave, if I dare say, cooking breakfast lunch and dinner, washing, cleaning and folding our clothes, and just doing all the dirty and tough work so we don't have to do it. Everytime I bring my dishes to the sink I feel like I need to wash it for her so she won't have to work so hard. Her life is difficult, raising a child in another country, not much pay, while raising someone else's child in another family.  Today I got the chance to ask her what I've been wanting to ask since day one. Does she enjoy her job as a housemaid? Or is it a really tough life? More importantly, what was her dream/ideal job? Her replies were "yes, I love doing this! I enjoy it!" and "my dream was to be a fashion designer but it still hasn't come true." This sacrifice is more real and great than ever. She ended up giving up her life dreams to help raise her child, she gave up so much to live such a life.  As Christians, we're here on earth not for ourselves but for God. Of course we have dreams and it isn't wrong to have those, but we dedicate our lives to following Christ, no matter where he chooses to take us. I think you know you're a firm believer when you've found true joy in not what you do, but who you're doing it for. Like our housemaid, although she wants to be a designer she can still find true joy in being a housemaid. That's more incredible and inspiring than ever.  Christ did the same, he gave up everything (literally) to come down and live, breathe and die among and for us.  There are times where we're given things we don't want to do, but will you do it for the Lord? And when you do, are you joyful? Or are you doing it because "you have to"?

Comments

Popular Posts