Journey: Guangxi


Behind the bright lights, past the loud, crowded city, behind mountains, under the clouds, within the valleys lies villages and a community, surrounded by flourishing trees and blazing humidity. And within this hidden city, God's work still reigns and prevails.

BEFORE
I'm sure I've written about this before but preparing for this missions and even just deciding on going or not was a conflict for me. This trip conflicted with the missions I wanted to go on, and even after I signed up I wasn't really willing to go. I wasn't excited at all. I was nervous that I couldn't cope well with the students because they're my age and I've always been working with children, and it was different because it was teaching instead of just watching over them and doing a typical summer camp. Even the few days before I left Hong Kong, I even thought to myself "what if this was the wrong decision?". It had gotten that bad.

DURING
But did God change my perspective by 180 degrees. It was such a big change and he showed me so many "in-your-face" moments. From simply seeing his creation within the mountains, how great and massive they were, and then realize how much greater and bigger our God was.

Meeting the students and doing the camp wasn't any different. I praise and thank God for providing me with the best teaching team, where we were unified and just knew how to work with each other, resulting in a smooth flowing class. Not only that but the students. I could not have asked for a more perfect class, the blend of personalities, the fun, I thank God for handpicking my kids for me. And within the first day, I was attached immediately.

But as time went by, I started to realize even more, to the point where I was rather disgusted. Each day we come in to teach, our students were always studying, whether if it was math, biology, physics or chemistry, they always had their books out, doing homework, reviewing, or studying, and seeing their living conditions and their lifestyles, I couldn't help but see and think of how great the contrast was from ours. They get up at 6am to clean the school, the start class at 8, end at 11:45 for lunch, start class again at 1, have dinner at about 5:30, return for night classes at 7, end school day at 10:30. An hour for shower and then sleeping by 11:30 or so. Homework time? During those breaks when they don't have school. Whereas we get free time after 4, and start class at 9. They live in bunk beds, no mattress and each of us have a queen/king sized bed. We sit on our toilets, and they squat. Seeing all this, I cant help but think "why?". Why do we get the life we live and they have theirs? It's not fair, it doesn't make sense, and I can't really do much about it. We're blessed with so much. We're so wealthy and lucky.

Going on this missions, we're there to teach English while at the same side share the gospel. I've learnt from my previous missions that actions do speak louder than words and although that is the case, I felt like communication was a big obstacle. The fact that I barely knew any mandarin, that they couldn't express themselves well with English, there was definitely a barrier. It's frustrating. How am I to share the gospel if I can barely communicate with them? Sure I can explain the surface stuff, but their questions, the discussion, the explanation, how am I to help them understand this? At the same time, by the final few days we started to hear of many pieces of good news, of kids coming to Christ. Praise the Lord but it can be discouraging when no one in your class accepts Christ. But I've learnt that our time is not God's time. So I entrust that God will continue to work in all the students.

One morning we sang "God of This City" and as I sang the words it hit me hard, "greater things have yet to come, greater things are still to be done in this city." Those words are so much more powerful when you're in that city, and you believe and knowing something greater is going to happen. It's amazing seeing God work in such hidden areas in the world.

The bonds and friendships made. Although the camp is over, the friendships and memories remain. They've welcomed me so well into their life and community, they made me feel comfortable and at home. They were really sweet, always treating me to things, introducing me to their culture, drinks, and teaching me English, I've really grown fond of them. Attached from the first day, it could only mean waterworks on the last. And there were. I'd try my best to see them as much as possible and build that friendship and it definitely showed in their mini letters to me. I pray that they continue to work hard while playing hard and that they one day get to know Christ.

AFTER
I feel lost, disgusted, uneasy, filled with mixed emotions. I've been exposed to the life they live and now I've returned to my life. What should the next steps be? How can I be of help? Will I see them again? Spread the news and prayer. Prayer is powerful. I will continue to pray for them as we all move on with our lives, at the same time, sharing my experienced with others, maybe they'll come on the missions, maybe they donate towards fundings, but it's something we can all do.

God works wonders and he continues to do so, no matter where in this universe. Learn to rely on him and trust him, you are only his instrument so let him use you!

Comments

Popular Posts