reflecting by the fire.


ACF fall retreat.
cold.
rain.
hail.
fire.
friendship.
worship.
prayer.
vulnerability.

I'm back from a pretty crazy weekend of retreat. But it has really opened my eyes. Just to share something that really stood out, was the people, the community that i was a part of this weekend. There were some rough times, literal storms, rain and hail, where i was freezing, i was tired, hungry, and i didn't want to go on. It kinda parallels what i've been going through with university. There are storms and rougher waves i've sailed on and sometimes it can knock me down hard. But even though i was cold, chattering and missing home, there was something different. Having people take the initiative, to watch out for me, talk to me, keep me company and encourage me, it was really a great feeling. And just seeing how the upper years were serving us first years, i felt bad, they did so much for us, and we just took it on. I really do appreciate all they've done, from planning the retreat, providing the tents. They had extra coats for us when we were still cold, they let us get food first as they waited patiently and hungrily, and they were all just so willing to serve us and make sure we were tended to first before themselves. I REALLY look up to them for that, and i really hope i can do the same for others, older or younger. Even though i've only met them for three weeks, many of them have become role models in my eyes and I'm excited to learn so much more from them. Specifically, one of my small group members, he's just been so insightful and inspiring when he shares. He is completely open to talking about his trials, how he's been growing, and hearing about his goals to grow as a man of Christ, transitioning into adulthood, i aspire to be like him, to have that desire that craving.

On a completely different note, this weekend, really reminded me of home and family. Going camping, i've always gone with my family ever summer, and going this time alone, i started to truly realize my parents love, and how they served me. Waking up earlier than me to cook a hot hearty meal for me for whenever i wake up. Making sure everything is ready, that we haven't forgotten anything, but this time at retreat, it was just me. I had to figure things out, i had to be independent. I come to appreciate all they've done and all they continue to do. Just getting a sleeping bag from them, i realized that was the closest connection i've had to home since i went home. They are watching out for me, praying for me and supporting me through everything, and i've just been taking them for granted for the past seventeen years.

I must say, i felt mixed about this retreat, with having a bad week before, being cold and frozen for half the weekend, happy to have met such amazing people, stressed with the work i have to do the next few days, its been quite the hurricane, but i've learnt a lot, and i've been reminded of a lot spiritually, and I'm so happy that i was able to attend and have God speak to me.

verse of the day: Romans 12:10
10 Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. 

Comments

Popular Posts