Conversation with God: The Gospel

my prayer this morning - October 4th 2015, 9:00am

O LORD,
My Heavenly Father,
My God, my Creator.

Thank you for creating me.
You formed me in my mother's womb;
with your hands, You knit me together.
Creating me in your image.
The image of you,
God almighty,
God the creator,
and God of the universe.

It is the greatest honour to be made in the likeness of You,
though man can be great, no one is as great as you.
And to think and know that you made us in your image?
oh, would you put me in awe and in wonder!
We were made to reflect you,
made to be your representatives on this earth.

But because of the fall of man, I come before you a sinner.
For all have sinned and have fallen short of your glory.

In my nature, my sinful nature,
I am broken, and I am wicked.
I wrestle with pride, worldly thoughts,
selfishness, and bitterness.
God, would you reveal to me any sin that remains.

I have rebelled against you,
I have forgotten about you,
I have sinned against you.

I deserve death,
I deserve the punishment for my transgressions,
I deserve your wrath to be poured out on me.

But you love me.

You, O Lord said that "I will be your God and you shall be my people."

I've tried to reach you on my own efforts,
and time and time again I would fail to climb the mountain that you sit on.
But that wasn't your plan,
your plan involved you descending and coming down from that mountain to meet me.
And not only me, but all of us.

And so, with your mighty hand and outstretched arm,
you reached out to us with compassion, mercy, grace and love.

You descended in the form of man, through your son Jesus Christ.
You descended into our wickedness,
into our brokenness,
and into our sinfulness.

Not only that, but you dwelt with us,
you lived with us,
you taught, loved, and healed us.

Out of love, you sent Jesus to save us,
your mission; to restore and reconcile us back to God the Father.
And as God had planned, you died for us.
Though you were killed by the ones you came to save,
and though we mocked you, taunted you, and rejected you,
you endured the pain and shame on that cross,
because we were the joy set before you.

Your death was the atoning sacrifice for our sins.
Your death paid the penalty that we deserved.
Your death bore the wrath of God that was meant for us.

But death could not hold you down;
and in three days you rose from the grave.
Sin was defeated, death was overcome,
and you were, you are and you remain victorious.
You are sovereign over both life and death,
and you save all those who believe in you and this gospel.

Now because you live,
we too may live a new life.
Born again, made anew, and called your children,
our souls are resurrected into eternal life.

Shortly after, you ascended back into heaven,
and you equipped us with your presence in the form of the Holy Spirit.
And living as exiles on this earth,
we long for the Kingdom of God that is to come.
We patiently and eagerly wait for your return,
the second coming that you promised.

And when you come,
all will be restored.
You will create the new heavens and the new earth.
Tears will be wiped from our eyes,
death will be no more.
There will be no pain, no sorrow, no grief;
sin will have vanquished,
and You will reign over all.

So as I wait O Lord,
would you teach me to walk in obedience,
help me to live by faith and not by sight.
May I go and make disciples,
may I be used by you to reach the lost,
and may I continue to learn and teach all that you have commanded.

God, I pray that this truth would take root in my life,
I pray and ask that it would continue to forever impact and transform me.
Thank you for choosing to work within me,
thank you for choosing to continually sanctify me,
and thank you for being faithful, even when I am faithless.

You, O Lord, are good.
To you who sits on the throne be all blessing and honour and glory forever and ever.
Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts