Overnight Madness

Tumblr_lq1abtuizs1qgroito1_500_large

"so many kids, too many goodbyes"

The past four days, i've spent full 24 hour days with 100 kids and 25 counsellors. Honestly, at first, even monday morning, i was in no mood to do this camp. I wasnt excited, nor was i against it. But as time went on, things changed.

First and foremost, this camp consisted of grades 4-6. I've dealt with SK-Gr 3 the past two years, and the 7&8's the past few years, but this age group was in the grey. I didnt know how to deal with them. I wouldnt baby them like the SKs, but at the same time, i couldnt really talk to them like the 7s and 8s. I was honestly stuck and i was pretty scared on how i would transfer from the younglings to these kids. These guys are the type that are somewhat mature, but can still be inappropriate, the time where they can be selfish but with Christ, they've learnt to think about others as well.

I honestly praise God throughout this camp. So many things have happened that i've just been awestruck about. First, the groups. I feel so blessed this year, that both day camp and overnight camp i've been blessed with small groups of ANGELS. They've been so obedient, so helpful, caring, and have not caused me any trouble at all. My day camp group, Christopher, Gloria, Stanley, Sharon and Bernice were the best kids i've ever met with. They listen, they work together, and they care about one another. At the same time, at overnight camp, i've been blessed with George, Daniel, Christopher, and Wolfgang, all bringing their own special personalities God has given them. Not only my small group, but my cabin group as well. I was a bit scared when i found out i was alone in a cabin of 7-9. But again, God gave me such a great batch. I knew a few counsellors who had so much trouble sleeping because the kids were noisy, but my group was very listening and understanding. They really helped and allowed me to get some rest and im so grateful for that.

I remember the last night, they all wanted to stay up and pull an all-nighter, while a few wanted so sleep, so after their fail time to compromise on a time, i decided that 12:30 would be good. Its late, but there's still time to sleep. They were already very upset that they had to sleep so early. Unfortunately, it turned out that i was being too nice, where our head Pastor said it was too late, and i couldnt just make my own decisions. I confess and admit that it is my fault and i should have asked earlier. But once again, God worked his wonders, and when i went back to tell them that they needed to be in bed by 11, and before our pastor came, they were really listening. No complaints, no awww, nooooo, and they just immediately agreed to it. In fact right when our pastor came, they were lights out, in bed. Im so grateful. Praise God for working in miraculous ways.

The Homesick. There really isnt a cure for this. I was talking to the veterans of overnight camp, and they've said that homesick was never a problem at camp. Until this year. One of our kids, Hayden had a pretty major problem with this. He was constantly crying and wanting his parents to come pick him up. It caused him not to eat, to get stomach aches from thinking so much and it just didnt turn out that well. I honestly had NO IDEA how to work with this kind of problem. What exactly could you say to comfort them? To help them out? The first night, it took quite a while for us to calm him down, for him to finally go to bed. But the next day, when i thought things couldnt get any worse, something happened. He comes up to me with a blank watch. It turns out that he accidently showered with it on, and it broke. It sparked the homesick again as he said his dad could fix it right away and that he wasnt here. When i saw it, i knew that there would be no hope. I remember my phone falling in the water, and it just stopped. But we prayed about it and just asked him to wait patiently. And God surprised me once again. In half a day or so, the watch came back and it started working again. Praise God! I never would have thought this would happen, and im so thankful because it really showed God's power and that prayer works. I've honestly never seen prayer so powerful before. I actually couldnt believe it and im happy to know that it'll strengthen his faith in our LORD.

Hayden got very needy with him homesick-ness. He pretty much needed and wanted me always next to him at pretty much all times. From eating to going to the washroom. I had to help lay out the tissue paper on the toilet seat for him and all, i was surprised that he couldnt really do it. I hope i didnt spoil him, but for me personally, its not that hard to sacrifice that for him so i willingly did it. And to be honest, sometimes this needy-ness got kinda of annoying, having me sit with him when i wanted and was already sitting with someone else, but its okay.

After this camp, working with the kids as well as the counsellors, i've made many new friends and i've honestly met so many kids this year from all over Canada! Ha, from my missions trip in Quebec, to Day Camp and Overnight Camp. I know a good bunch of kids, ranging from SK to Grade 6. Its been an amazing ride this summer and i hope we can continue to keep in touch.

Tonight, after camp, im actually depressed. Im so upset that its all over and that it just ended so abruptly. I was eating dinner and it was sushi too! I had no appetite. I kept looking at the entrance in hopes that one of the kids i knew would walk in. I wanted to burst into tears. It didnt feel right to be eating with my family. I just wanted to be with my kids to hear their voice and see their bright smiles. Overnight really ended way to fast. And what sucks is that each time i end something like this, im not at church for the next few weeks, meaning i wont be able to see them for the next 2 weeks.

My kids. They were older so they were able to understand each other more and myself as well. I was able to tell them something i havent told many people. Thats a whole new story, but it just goes along the lines that i dont feel important sometimes, i dont feel loved and i dont feel needed. I honestly feel like the kids show love the most evidently. By simply smiling at me, or asking me questions. George, he always says "I have a question" right in front of me. The fact that they have a question for me, the fact that they thought of me, the fact that they came to me, is just a feeling i'll never forget. I want to be important to others, and honestly sometimes i dont feel it from my friends. Maybe its just me, i dont see it and its not as evident as the kids, but hearing them say things like "you're the best counsellor i've ever had" or "of course you're important", it really makes me smile and confirms that im loved. Just as we've been learning the 5 languages of love, Gifts, Words of Affirmation, Acts of Service, Quality Time, and Physical Touch. To hear those words from them, to receive gifts like the glow-stick bracelet George gave me, to the time we spend with each other during devos, their help when i ask them to help me out with something, and finally the hi-fives and hugs they've given me. I feel that im important, that someone actually cares about me and that i have a role in this world.

Jason. He's actually one of the coolest kids i've ever met. I actually wanted to be this kid. First of all, he's incredibly nice and caring towards one another, and bonuses are that he's cute, his style, ha its impressive, and everything about him. His personality, his voice, his smile, he's an amazing person. I dont know how that even came to be. But one thing that surprised me during camp was that during lunch, we got to sit together, and he nudged me and said "dont you feel bad for him?" in reference of the counsellor who was sitting alone. So i asked him "Do you want to sit with him?" "Do you?" he answers, and without hesitation, without thinking about his friends, he picks up his tray and sits next to him. I was caught off guard. I personally still cant really do that, be able to welcome the ones that are lonely, the fact that he thought of others before himself was, wow. I just cant believe how nice he is. It really showed me and wow, i just.. cant believe it.

Overnight camp has really taught me more than i thought. Just now i've learnt that i have to reflect after times like these to really understand and see what i've learnt. To end i stole this quote from one of my good friends and fellow counsellor.

"God doesn’t tell you to do hard things so He can stand back and laugh and watch you struggle. He tells you to do things the things that He knows are gonna work out to your good in the end."

verse of the day: John 13:34
34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

Comments

Popular Posts