Sharper Than A Double-Edged Sword

It's just a day of reflection and blogging it looks like!

Not only have I seen God work in my resolution to fear the Lord, but I have seen him work wonders in just two weeks time when it comes to memorizing scripture and storing up His word in my heart (Psalm 119:11). I made the resolution to memorize a passage or scripture every week this year (and hopefully for years to come) and I have realize the power and strength that comes with knowing God's truth and promises. I've been reviewing my weekly memory verse in my head on the bus, walking to class, in class, doing home, during quiet time, while cooking, and without even knowing it I was immersed in scripture.

Thus far, this practical application has helped me realize the value in memorizing scripture and John Piper discusses eight wonderful points, which some I have (so far) realized and can relate to. First, "memorizing scripture makes God's word more accessible when it comes to overcoming temptation to sin". By reviewing his promises in my head, I have felt that my mind is filled with more goodness, making less room for evil or sinful thoughts and desires that lead to temptation and sin. Second. "memorizing scripture enables me to hit the devil in the face with a force he cannot resist, protecting myself form his assaults". It is true when Hebrews 4 states that the Word of the Lord is sharper than a double edged sword. I have found nothing more powerful than God's truth when it comes to combating the devil. And third, "memorizing scripture strengthens my faith because it comes from hearing the Word of God, especially in my head". How wonderful is it to hold fast to the promises of God, anywhere and everywhere. It has reminded me of his goodness, of his truth, and it constantly strengthens and renews my faith in the Lord. Piper shares five other points in the video HERE, which I am excited to understand and apply through the years to come!

It is through scripture that God speaks to me. And if His everlasting and promising truth is in my head, we can communicate anywhere and everywhere. Meditate on His Word day and night. "Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night." - Psalm 1:1-2.

verse of the day: Hebrews 4:12
12 For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

Comments

Popular Posts