The Mysterious Thumping Noise

One night over the break as I was trying to sleep, my brother came knocking on my door asking if I heard a thumping noise. Disrupting my attempt to rest, I said no. I hadn't heard it either. He came in two or three times and eventually, I heard a massive boom, as if a tree had falling into my house or the fridge somehow managed to topple over. I got up and told my brother that I heard it. Both of us rather suspicious and cautious, he decided to ask if he could stay in my room that night, which was fine by me.

Rewind a few days of so, I had spent some time talking to my other friend, catching up on how our lives have been and we both shared about our struggles with our families; communicating with each other and just being a role model for our younger siblings. I personally haven't had the best relationships with my family members but I have to say that things have been getting better. But with my brother, I knew I wasn't doing much as an older brother when it comes to caring, advising, and watching over him. So we challenged each other to find time over the break to truly catch up with our siblings.

Fast forward back to that night, in my quiet dark room, I thought about what my friend and I talked about and decided to give it go. I asked my brother how he was doing, genuinely and spiritually as well. I have to say I was pretty amazed at how open he was to sharing and we got to share what we've been learning, got to encourage each other and I took the opportunity to pray for him too.

Thinking back on it, I am honestly amazed by God's work, how he used such an unusual situation, a mysterious thumping noise (which were now revealed to be frost quakes), to bring two disconnected (can I say?) brothers together into a dark room for such a fruitful conversation. I am thankful for such moments and I hope that it pushes our brotherly bond forward so we may be able to draw and spur each other closer and closer to the Lord.

verse of the day: Proverbs 27:17
Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another.

Comments

Popular Posts