2014: Onto The Next Chapter

With the new year upon us, I took some time not just to reflect on the past, but also what is to come. How do I want to grow closer to God this year? How will I accomplish this? I thought of three areas that I would specifically like to work on, build up and grow in spiritually for 2014.

Fearing God
I've always read about fearing God, and i've never fully understood what it meant. I don't think I can necessarily learn to fear God, but I hope that these next twelve months I can grow to fear the Lord more by knowing Him more. I looked into the concept of biblical fear, and I found some insight form Jerry Bridges, John Piper and Tim Keller.

There are two aspects to fearing God; one is to fear who his is, by understanding his power, righteousness, and holiness, but at the same time one must find joy in his mercy, forgiveness and love. Jerry Bridges (the author of The Pursuit of Holiness) explained fear with the physics concept, centripetal force; like when you spin a rock around on a string. The rock, being God's righteousness and holiness, grounds us and acts as the centrifugal. While we are holding onto this string, and it is His love and grace that pulls us closer to Him. If you don't have either component, the force/the fear disappears. More from Jerry Bridges HERE. In other words, John Piper (a pastor and author from the Bethlehem Baptist Church) says that "fearing God means that you understand that God is SO powerful, holy and awesome that you WOULD NOT DARE to run away from Him, but only towards Him." We should tremble at the thought of wanting to leave him. More from John Piper HERE. Tim Keller described fear as "wonder-filled bold humility", which I interpret as being in awe of the Lord while thinking less of oneself, because God is so much greater. "There is a boldness knowing God loves me, and humility knowing that you have been saved by His grace."

I'm not sure how I will take this upon myself, but I hope to pray for a great fear of the Lord throughout this year and years to come, to discover and realize God's power through his Word.
"Teach me your way, O Lordthat I may walk in your truth; unite my heart to fear your name."
- Psalm 86:11
Knowing Scripture
God's Word is the fundamental truth and it is the basis of our faith. It is the living word, our Father's secret diary given to us, with commands, truths, and parables. I've always known that scripture is important to know, but the past year, i've come to admire those who can give responses that are rooted in scripture, and are biblical and I yearn to be able to share and help those around me, not by my own personal opinion, but with the truth given from God above. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 tells us that scripture is used for teaching, rebuking, training and correction. I want to meditate, delight and be engulfed in His Holy Word day and night, as it tells in Psalm 1, "blessed is he!". It is also so practically useful to be able to recall on such comforting and reassuring truths and reminders in any and every circumstance. John Piper talks about the importance of memorizing scripture HERE.

With that being said, i'm challenging myself to memorize one verse/passage each week of (and hopefully not just) 2014. I hope I don't just have it memorized for its respective week, but am able to have 50+ verses known by this time next year. If you want to follow along, click HERE for my scripture memorization plan!
"How can a young man keep his way pure?    By guarding it according to your word.With my whole heart I seek you;    let me not wander from your commandments!I have stored up your word in my heart,    that I might not sin against you.Blessed are you, O Lord;    teach me your statutes!With my lips I declare    all the rules of your mouth.In the way of your testimonies I delight    as much as in all riches.I will meditate on your precepts    and fix my eyes on your ways.I will delight in your statutes;    I will not forget your word."
- Psalm 119:9-16
Giving More
Each day I continue to realize God's grace all the more, knowing that all things come from Him. With all these opportunities and blessings, why not give more? The tangible and the intangible, if you can bless others with your time or your wealth, what's stopping you? I want to change the scales this year, and instead of receiving more than giving, I want to flip it. But most importantly I want to give with a cheerful and willing heart just as it says in 2 Corinthians 9:7. This year I pray for a generous and loving heart to those around me, strangers or friends. I want to give because God gave. 
"The point is this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work. As it is written, 
“He has distributed freely, he has given to the poor;    his righteousness endures forever.” 
He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness. You will be enriched in every way to be generous in every way, which through us will produce thanksgiving to God. For the ministry of this service is not only supplying the needs of the saints but is also overflowing in many thanksgivings to God. By their approval of this service, they will glorify God because of your submission that comes from your confession of the gospel of Christ, and the generosity of your contribution for them and for all others, while they long for you and pray for you, because of the surpassing grace of God upon you. Thanks be to God for his inexpressible gift! 
- 2 Corinthians 9:6-15 
May the Lord be glorified this year.

verse of the day: Lamentations 3:22-24
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases;    his mercies never come to an end;they are new every morning;    great is your faithfulness.“The Lord is my portion,” says my soul,    “therefore I will hope in him.”

Comments

Popular Posts