An Exchange Brought To Fruition

Sometimes you aren't able to see God at work until later, and sometimes, much later.

This morning whilst at work, I got this message you see at the top of this post. The first thing I thought was "who's Ryan?" but after searching through my mind, I realized that he was one of my Sunday school kids from a few years ago. Not only that, but my brother has been his overnight camp counselor, and I once taught him at a different church retreat last summer.

Seeing texts like this are incredibly encouraging and they are such a blessing to me. It is so cool to see God at work like this. The "recommendation" he's referring is an exchange that actually happened almost a whole year ago at that church retreat I taught at. Even I had completely forgotten about it - but it's amazing to see how something as simple as that would have led to such a result.

As I thought about it more, I realized that there was much more to the story than it seemed. BASIC, refers to a youth fellowship we have back at my home church, and as i've grown up, people my age have started to serve as leaders (after they themselves have gone through BASIC years and years ago). It turns out Ryan's counselors were actually some of my friends! That being said, it was incredible to be able to look back and connect the dots. My recommendation was the LORD planting the seed, and over time God set different people in his life, like his counselors, to water the seed as the LORD grew him, slowly bringing it to fruition. Praise God for that!
"I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything but only God who gives the growth." - 1 Corinthians 3:6-7
With all that being said, I really hope that this comes as an encouragement for all those in ministry, especially those who are in children and youth ministry. Know that your work and efforts are not in vain! I know it can be discouraging when you don't seem to see any fruit because you may only be there for a few months, for a year, longer - but you are sovereignly placed there by our Heavenly Father to be an example, to make an impact on the lives of those you are ministering to. You never know what God is doing behind the scenes! Continue faithfully in obedience in your ministry!
"Do not let anyone despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in life, in faith and in purity." - 1 Timothy 4:12
Something as simple as a conversation a year ago has led this youth to experience and know God - all of our daily interactions, even the short and brief ones have potential to make a lasting impact. But know that this encouragement comes also with a challenge - not just for people who are serving and who are leaders, but all of us - we all must be evaluating our conduct regularly, as we set an example for those around us. No matter how old you may be, there will always be someone younger than you who sees, watches and learns from you.  So "whatever you do, in word or deed, do it all in the name of the LORD Jesus, giving thanks to the Father through Him" (Colossians 3:17).

Comments

Popular Posts