The Creator at Point Pelee

I got to spend the past four days at Point Pelee National Park with a bunch of high school students and a handful of experienced birders - and this counted as work for me! I am so incredibly thankful for this summer job (which i'm only two weeks in), i've already learnt so much and have had such amazing experiences - may God receive all praise and all glory!!

Throughout these past two weeks, being immersed in the natural and created world it's been oddly surprisingly at how difficult it has been for me to connect seeing creation and associating it with God - to see the beauty and glory of God in the natural world around us. It's been something i've been praying about and I think slowly but surely with some active intentionality, God has been answering my prayer. 
It can be incredibly easy to forget about God when you're away, in a secular environment - whether if its finding time to pray, to do my devotions and even to see the Creator beyond the creation itself. But throughout the four days, I was reminded here and there of small ways to see God throughout the countless hours of birding. 

Point Pelee is known as a hotspot for birding because being the most southern part of Canada, and as it protrudes into Lake Erie, it's the first piece of land any migratory bird sees as they fly north across the lake - and as a result, the small park is filled with hundreds of different species. I got to see over 100 species of birds these past four days, and each time I saw a new bird, it really seemed like God was revealing to me a new and another aspect of his glory and creation to me. It was like he was saying "here Jason, look at what else i've created" - just how creative, marvellous, complex, and brilliant is our God! And just when you think you've seen them all, there's always more. 
We also learnt that birds call to one another to attract mates of the same species, being so small, in such a large environment, even with their bright colors, sound and song travel and broadcast individuals louder and clearer than just the visual image. I'm sure that's true - but at the same time, Psalm 148 commands all creation to give praise to God, creation was made to worship and bring God glory, and so i'd also like to think that when the birds sing to attract mates they also sing to praise their maker (and they sing nonstop... something we should learn and take away i'd like to think).
At this time of the year, the park is just overflowing with keen birders - looking for scarlet tanagers, and the rare cerulean and kirtland's warblers among many others. It was insane and almost baffling to see how pumped someone can get over seeing a bird - to see their eyes light up from when word spreads about a certain bird being seen, to when the bird is pointed out to them in the thicket of branches. It's truly like finding treasure within the deaths of the forest. And it made me think - to see all these people with such a burning passion to see and admire these birds, to hear of the bountiful knowledge some of these people possess, it's great but little do they know that there is a greater knowledge, a greater wisdom, a greater being to search and discover - God Almighty himself! They only see and know creation and cannot see the Creator behind it all! May we aspire to also have such a keen heart to know and love our God! 
Because of this, my heart was actually very heavy for these people, especially the students - oh how I desired for them to know the LORD, to know of the Creator whom loves and provides for them just as He cares for the sparrows. 

At the same time, my heart was very full and warm with these students. First, was because my heart was heavy. I don't think I usually feel such a weight to have people hear the gospel, even as I have done street outreach in past weeks, my heart wasn't tugged so hard knowing that so many people weren't saved, so to truly feel that weight this week was a sign of God's work in my heart - praise God! Second, was because I found out some of the students were fellow believers! One afternoon during free time, I saw one of them holding a one-year bible, so I approached him and asked him about it. We ended up talking about devotions, creationism vs evolution, and being a Christian at school or at work. It was so cool to have such an encouraging and open discussion about such topics with a grade 9 student! On top of that, it was interesting that i had just finished university and am currently wrestling with how I should be thinking about evolution (because I never really critically thought through it as I learnt it), whereas my new friend was just about to start learning about evolution. So I encouraged him and I hope that he will not be like me, but rather thoroughly think through what we learn and what aligns and what doesn't align with the Bible. 

And just when I thought that was amazing, moments later it sparked more conversation with a non-believers because they had overheard us talking - they asked some tough questions, which I - in turn, naturally tried to shy away or be hesitant, but this grade nine along with another grade ten, whom I met later, both were so bold and courageous, engaging in the conversation. It didn't really go anywhere too significant, but to see such young people so eager to speak truth was such a blessing. I told them what an encouragement they were to me and I hope they never lose that fire for the LORD. 
Before I knew it, the trip was over - it was a quick and abrupt goodbye, and it's been quite hard on me considering how much I invested in these kids emotionally - but I cannot give enough praise to God for this past week. Yes, the birds were fascinating and beautiful, but truly getting to know each of these students was much more valuable to me. May God use our interactions for the building of His kingdom!

Comments

Popular Posts