Rejoice Always

One thing my grandmother has taught me these past few years, which I only realized and internalized recently, is to praise God on the regular, and how that looks like. Being 90 years old, she's getting more and more frail and weak - she hurt her shoulder a month ago, and when I visited her last week, it's still in pain; she can barely extend her arm, she can't really do anything, her knees and legs are weak from sitting all day, her eyesight is deteriorating to the point where she couldn't even see the birthday gift I got her, her hearing loss isn't getting any better (and communication doesn't get any better considering the language barrier) - it really pains me sometimes; but I praise and thank God that she has our loving Father by her side, and even in the midst of these circumstances, she's always praising Him.

She praises Him when she's able to get up from her wheelchair,
She praises Him on my behalf when she hears of how God has provided me with a summer job,
She praises Him and thanks Him immediately after I visit her (I hear her praying on my way out) because she's delighted to see her grandsons,
She praises Him when she's able to safely sit down on her wheelchair without falling,
She praises Him day and night, after every small or big task, knowing that all of it comes from and is because of God.

How often do we praise God? Are our lives marked by constant praises to God?

"My tongue will proclaim your righteousness, your praises all day long" - Psalm 35:28

"In God we make our boast all day long, and we will praise you name forever" - Psalm 44:8

"My mouth is filled with your praise, declaring your splendor all day long" - Psalm 71:8

The past two semesters, the men in my Harvest small group has made "personal growth points" each term, and I plan on doing that for this upcoming "summer term" - and one of them is learning to be thankful - which in turn will hopefully lead to contentment in what I have, rather than longing after what I don't have. This past week between my summer job and the end of exams, I had a really good week at home - so I want to sit down, reflect and give thanks for all the little and big things God has given me - I challenge you to do the same!

I'm thankful that;

  • I had a whole week off before starting my summer job
  • My grandmother is still at it, faithful to the LORD in prayer, in devotion and in the Word
  • I was able to order a new phone after waiting for many many months for a good deal to come along
  • I have a family back at home who loves me dearly, even if my mum is shoving me her latest health kick find down my throat, it's all for my good and my health
  • I got to have lunch and catch up with a very good brother of mine whom I haven't seen since New Years
  • My pastors back at home are open and patient with me as I wrestle between my home church and the church I go to in Guelph
  • Even though I third wheeled three of my friends that week, they were all open and welcoming to me - making the effort to spend time with me
  • I am constantly reminded that I am loved 
  • I only had to remove one wisdom tooth, that the tooth grew out straight so the removal wasn't hard, that it only took 20 mins and that I healed with no swelling, pain or discomfort - within days!
  • My friend was willing to be scared with me through Sicario even though I ended up being the only one screaming
  • My other friend was able to drive me to the movies, and that we got to have open and honest conversations with one another
  • I got to catch up and have very meaningful conversations with a few good friends of mine, whether if we're sharing art or our lives
  • God is clearly at work in the lives of my friends - it is such a blessing and an encouragement to see people earnestly seeking after the LORD's heart!
  • Though I had experienced discontentment at one point in the week, God comforted me with His Word directly as I was able to recall scripture, and indirectly when I asked my grandmother to recite the scripture she had memorized
  • I was able to better understand the vision, philosophy and direction of my home church through the long but good conversations I had with friends and pastors
  • I was able to fully pay off my OSAP debt with the help of my parents!
  • I got to see my aunts and uncles from both sides of the family for dinner + good food! 
  • I have a new housemate and things seem to be going well so far!
  • Though I was homesick, God overwhelmed me with peace after I cried out to him, and that my friends were there to comfort and encourage me
  • My first day of work today didn't even seem like work; I learnt so much, I had so much fun and I hope I only continue to see the beauty in God's creation day by day!
  • I'm sure the list can go on - I should've made this list earlier...
May our hearts only continue to well up and overflow with joy, knowing that all things come from the LORD and are to be received with thanksgiving. 

"rejoice in the LORD always, again I say, rejoice!" - Philippians 4:4

Comments

Popular Posts