"So What Are Your Plans After Graduation?"

In less than a week's time, I will be back in Guelph for my final semester in my undergraduate program (Wildlife Biology and Conservation Science). I've had mixed feelings every time it's dawned on me that this is my final semester of school - meaning that I won't have any midterms, projects, or papers to worry about this coming September. It also means that i'll be back at home, surrounded by family... (that's up for interpretation). I'm excited to be done; I feel like i'm ready to move on and wrap up another chapter, but I think this upcoming semester will be one that is of bittersweet heart-ache, as I bid my farewells and move on from this season of life. I think the majority of the pain will come from the Guelph community I may potentially be leaving, the ACF group that i've been serving and have been a part of for the past four years, and also the Harvest congregation - especially the families and friends i've been building such strong ties with. I have no intent to cut off communication with them, but it'll definitely require a great effort to maintain those relationships.

Now of course the big question that's haunting the mind of all soon-to-be-graduates is "so what are your plans after graduation?" Towards the end of last year, I was ready to just do what I always did, start the job hunt in the new year. Now that it actually is the new year, it's time to get started. But I think going to Urbana has changed my perspective on a few things.

If you read my Urbana post, you'll know that my objective in going to the conference was learning how to live missionally within a local setting; how could I be a better and bolder witness for Christ based on where God places me? After the conference, it seemed to me that for this current season, perhaps the next six to twelve months, God was telling me to stay rather than go overseas - in fact God has opened up several different opportunities, all revolving around this idea of living missionally within a local setting.

1) Power 2 Change Missions Trip to Halifax (http://p2c.com/students/mission-trips/halifax/)
Last semester I had the opportunity to help lead worship for Guelph P2C's missions night and was introduced to this new trip they were setting up for this upcoming summer. This was not like your typical overseas missions trip; rather it involves sending a team over to Halifax for three months - finding a job, earning money, and learning how to witness to your co-workers, and like my Urbana objective, living missionally in a local setting. It sounds perfect right?
Go? I do think if I went, it would be a good opportunity for me to learn exactly how to live out my objective, as well as earn some money. I think specifically with this trip, there would be high accountability when it comes to checking in on if we are being missional at our workplaces, and I think I almost expect/hope that i'll learn more practical ways to share the gospel in that specific cultural setting.  
No? Naturally, there are always hesitancies when it comes to obedience - even if we know that we live under the good authority of God. I think my main one (though unsure if it's a valid one) is leaving community. I would have just finished four years of school, then leaving my Guelph community only to come back and then leave my home community again? The second, is just the fact that I can do the same thing here in Toronto; so why spend the money just to do it somewhere else? And the last is just a side detail - upon graduation, it's typical to want to begin developing and building one's career, so is going to Halifax for 3 months the best for that? 
2) Return to my Summer Job
I guess the "me" a few months ago would say this would be the dream - it was, well what I felt was, the perfect job - a beautiful blend between science and education, working with animals and people; I really enjoyed my time there and it would be just incredible if I could go back - i'd be in my field of study, i'd be earning money, doesn't it sound perfect already? Although, if you've read what happened during the summer (you can read it HERE) - I feel that realistically thinking (without doubting God's ability), I don't think they'd have me back... but you never know!
Go? I do think I could still practice my objective there in Etobicoke, except for the fact that it's quite far from home, and it would be really difficult to share life and be a witness outside of the work context. Maybe if I secured a position there, I could move down there? A friend has already approached me about if I wanted to room with him downtown - which would mean i'd only be 15 mins away from work compared to 90 mins! Sharing life would be easier and feasible!
No? Will God even open this door for me? Will I even be able to afford living downtown? I think I probably have the "least control" with this option. 
3) MoveIn Ministries (http://www.movein.to)
Talking with an ACF advisor, she shared how she had recently joined this ministry in Missisauga - this ministry focuses a lot on imitating Christ as He came and dwelt/lived among us, in our neighbourhoods and communities. Inquiring the ministry at their booth at Urbana, I discovered that they had this ministry in Guelph as well; maybe I could stay in Guelph! Like the other opportunities, this would be a great one to practically live on mission in the community around you - and I also can move out of home!
Go? This has been something i've considered, it just seems like a really good idea - I guess the question is where? Guelph? Back in Toronto? Etobicoke? 
No? Although I don't know all the full details yet, I feel that potentially there would be less accountability in this situation to actually be on mission compared to an opportunity like P2C's. From what I know, the minimal requirement is that you pray for your respective community with your MoveIn team once a week. I'll probably need to do some more research.
4) A Year for God
This probably sounds a bit silly, since every year, every waking moment should be for God - but what I mean with this option is that i'll take a year to fully and completely serve God through my objective, living missionally in the local setting that is my home. I want to find a job that ideally is walking distance from my house, I don't care if it's in my field, if its at a cubicle, or behind a cashier. Making disciples (as we are commanded) is about sharing life with one another and by being so close to home, i'll actually have time to serve and share life with those around me, co-workers and my (literal) neighbours.
Go? I'm up for the challenge; again - there may be a lack of accountability, but I have faith that I would actually take the initiative and effort to live out my objective.  
No? Well, I guess if God calls me somewhere else...
Probably just like you, I wrestle and have difficulty discerning God's call and hearing His voice. As you can see throughout my different options, they all pretty much have the same objective - the only difference is the geographical location. From past experiences, I feel like I won't get a clear cut answer as to where i'll need to go (especially since the P2C trip application is due at the end of January), which is fine - none of these options are right or wrong - but how do I decide?

I shared these thoughts with my pastor this past week, and he shared with me that what God has placed on my heart is actually completely in line with the vision of my home church. And I wonder, does this alignment indicate that I should stay here at home? Would God call someone elsewhere even though there is already something that seems to be matching up so well? If anyone has any thoughts, please do share with me, i'd love to hear your insight!

If you've read this far - thank you for taking the time to follow my journey - may I also ask that you keep me and these decisions in prayer? Thank you!

Comments

Popular Posts