The Father's Love For Us

I've grown up in the church for all, if not, most of my life, and I am grateful for how it has helped mould and build me to be the person I am today. But, at the same time, as I reflect on myself now, I feel that being in the faith since I was a child has potentially caused me to take many things for granted; especially God's love. I learned all the bible stories, I knew all the answers; but knowing it in my mind doesn't equate to knowing and being impacted by it in my heart. I would say I've struggled and have continued to struggle with fully understanding and gripping the unconditional, absolute and unlimited love from God the Father.

I've surprising myself by picking up another book already since I had just finished Radical by David Platt, but Crazy Love by Francis Chan is my current read and I've been loving it so far; I just finished reading the third chapter titled Crazy Love, and it has opened a crack in the door for me to fully take in the Father's love for me, which is the same as His love for you.

Francis shares how he also had struggled with fully grasping God's love for him; and he found that it stemmed from his negative relationship with his father. He only began to see God's love when he became a Father himself, he says "my own love and desire for my kids' love is so strong that it opened my eyes to how much God desires and loves us".

Now i'm not a father yet, but for those who know me, they probably know how much I love children. If you ever saw me at church, you'd probably see me with one at one point in time or another. I love loving them, playing with them and spending time with them. I've always loved the little ones, of course they're adorable and fun to be around, but I am always amazed at how they express love to others. It's so candid, open and honest. I remember helping with the church summer camp, and while we walked around during our field trip, one would come grab and take hold of my hand from behind. It's when you build a relationship with them and you are genuinely wanted; when you are looked right in the eyes and are told "i love you", that when my heart becomes a puddle. There were two instances just this past weekend; I was helping with Sunday School and one of them points to the empty spot next to him and says "I saved a spot for you right here man". Later that day, another asks his mom if "Jason can stay here and play with me". I was playing with soccer with him in a heartbeat.

With all this, it made me realize; even though I am not these kids' father, this is a small glimpse as to how God sees us, his children, and how God wants to be seen. Although God doesn't have to love us, He still wants to spend time with us. He wants to be wanted and desired by his little ones, not because of what He can do or what He can give, but because of who He is. He wants us to run to Him, He wants us to think of Him. And compared to the experiences I had just described, God's love for us is a million times more. On the flip side, how do we see God? Is He just someone we run to when we're in distress or trouble? Do we only ask Him for what He can give? Or do we revel in His majesty and immerse ourselves in who He is and His love for us?

How do you understand God's love for you? Does His love resonate only in your mind or also in your heart?

LORD, may your love invade our hearts and transform us from the inside out, teach us to love you for who you are. Thank you for loving us and calling us your children despite of our sinfulness and our wickedness. You are enough. 

Comments

Popular Posts