So I Got Into An Accident

don't panic, everything and everyone is fine.

So I was heading home from work yesterday and after finally getting through all the traffic up the 400, I exited at Major Mackenzie and waited to make a right. Stopping at the red light, there was a moment in time where I believed that the two cars in front of me would have been able to turn safely before I could go. The first car went, and as me and the car ahead of me moved up, I thought the second car went as well, but little did I know that it didn't, and I bumped into him. The impact sounded like a crush and I was in shock for a little bit; it didn't sound like it was gonna be anything pleasant. We pulled to the side and I got out as calmly as I could to inspect the damages. He checked his car for a good five minutes, because as we both looked, I couldn't find one dent, or even a scratch on his bumper to my surprise. It was the same with my car, it looked like nothing had happened at all. I was feeling quite hopeful, almost to the point where I thought "well if there's no damage seen, will that just be it and we can go?" He eventually found that the bumper along the side wasn't aligned, but to me it was the slightest thing; I could barely tell that something had happened. But regardless, I was 100% ready to take full responsibility, so he said he would take it to his garage and get a quotation and i'll pay to fix it.

We just exchanged contact information, and went on our way. I felt quite hopeful, how much could that cost?! I also didn't bother taking any photos because I didn't think it was that bad at all; but it turns out as people were telling me that that was not the best idea in case something were to happen afterwards, so that was the first lesson of the day; always take pictures regardless! 

Driving the rest of the way home, I was overwhelmed with thanksgiving, no one got hurt, there wasn't even a scratch or dent on the cars; when it could have been really really bad. I thank God that He had watched over me and protected us through it all.

But later that night, the driver I hit contacted me after he went to get a quotation and he was asking for $575. That was not what I was expecting at all; was he replacing his bumper? was he trying to rip me off? Can't he just push his bumper back in and fix it? But as someone who clearly knows nothing about cars, apparently the slightest touch to the bumper weakens it, or I don't even know, but after asking what it was for he said that "the brackets of the bumper were misaligned and it needed to be taken apart and the brackets had to be fixed, needing two days to fix". I was at fellowship at that time, and I was just completely thrown off; I couldn't really focus on the bible study, I wasn't sure how to respond to his message; it was my first accident alone, but getting home I talked it out with my parents and we've decided that i'll just pay for the damages, get us to sign a letter of release and just settle it that way.

I didn't really know how to feel after that, I felt a bit crushed I guess; that this one small touch that happened in a blink of an eye cost a third of my summer earnings so far. It was something totally avoidable, but what's happened has happened. Here's the second lesson that i'm still learning; money is just money. 

Through it all, some have thought that maybe the person was trying to rip me off, but regardless if the person was or wasn't, I hope that I was able to handle the situation in a way that honoured God. Even if I were to push back for some reason, I hope that I would do it in a way that is loving and just. The situation reminded me of a sermon I listened to a while ago on Genesis 30, where we learnt that God continues to care for us even when someone may be trying to exploit you. So I've decided to continue to trust God in every situation, for He is a good God, and He will use this incident to stretch me in my faith.

Talking to my friends at fellowship about it afterwards, I was showered in messages of care and concern, and I'm very thankful for their advice, thoughts and love for me. Praise God for community!

UPDATE (July 13th 2015): So the day after I came home from whatever I was doing and I found an envelope with my name on it, opening it, I found a note from my friend Michelle Dao and she had also written me a cheque for 50$. I was in complete shock and when I asked her about it, she said "your burden is my burden". What a living example of Acts 2:45! I'm extremely grateful for her generosity.

Just last night I came home to find a 50$ bill sitting on my table and I got a Whatsapp message from my aunt saying she left the money to help subsidize the costs of the damages. "that's what family does" she said. It's been amazing to see how God uses others to care for his people. All this was completely unexpected, and i'm continually amazed by God's overflow of grace and provision. Know and believe that God cares for you!

(July 16th 2015) As I left my fellowship tonight sharing with people the two out-of-the-blue instances that happened with my friend and my aunt last week, I get handed an envelope with my name on it and opening it; I was in complete and utter awe because they came together and pooled quite a sum of money for me. Again; something I completely and 100% do NOT deserve, the accident was my fault, my mistake, and my responsibility; by no means did I deserve ANY of this but the LORD lavishes his grace on us, just as He did when He sent His perfect Son down to die for us. We are imperfect, broken and sinful, undeserving of God's love and He reached out to us in our mess that we are responsible for, and restored and redeemed us. What a great and good God we serve. He loves me and He loves you!

Respond in thanksgiving, Respond in worship, and Give back to the LORD what He has so graciously given to you.

Comments

Popular Posts