Does This Honour God?

What would be the God-honoring thing to do in this situation?

This is a question the Holy Spirit has been constantly placing on my mind recently. It's come up in almost any and every scenario; and as I start to wrap up my study in Leviticus, the concept of holiness has continually been made known to me. The idea of how we are to honour God with our actions and words at all times. In my prayer time this morning, I asked God; "were you honoured yesterday?" It's tough especially since there isn't a direct answer but I think it's good to reflect on your day(s) and how one has conducted themselves before a holy and almighty God.

Two nights ago, I had my first concert experience, and there was a lot of lining up, a lot of waiting, and no seating. As we waited for the act to come on stage, I could hear people complaining about their poor views, I could see my own view shrink and get worse, and I could feel by body tense up from the lack of moving around. For some odd reason, throughout the show, people somehow got in front me, squeezing through, even though I hadn't moved from my spot. As frustrating as it was, because it obstructed my view, this question popped into my mind. What would be the God-honoring thing to do in this situation? I realized that all of us, including myself had a self-centred mindset, wanting to get the best view, or dreaming to meet the act for our own sake, but at the same time, we all did pay for this and I don't think moving to the back so everyone else could get a good view while being completely blocked was the right thing to do either. Do you tell people off? Do you shove and push your way around? Do you just swallow it and deal with it? It made me think of, WWJD; what would Jesus do?

Or how about when you are at work, and you're told to lie on the phone by your supervisor, blaming something else rather admitting to your own faults or supervisor's faults to protect the reputation of the company? It's one thing to suggest it, but it's another when you're actually on the phone and you're being fed what to say on the spot. What would be the God-honoring thing to do in this situation? 

Yesterday I was chatting away with a group of co-workers, and they were cracking jokes, and making comments which first, I didn't really even understand, but knew weren't the most appropriate jokes. I actually wanted to laugh along, not because the jokes were funny, but I didn't want to be seen as different? boring? because I didn't laugh or share the same humour as them? I wanted to be liked; and i'll confess, it's so that maybe it would boost my chances of staying there longer if more of the people there liked me. Even just reflecting on that, first, it's self-centred, wouldn't you agree? second, I failed to trust in God's plan - if He wants me there, i'll be there. And third, I feared man over God. So again, what would be the God-honiring thing to do in this situation?

When we're talking about what honours God, we're talking about the choices and decisions we make. I went to my cousin's graduation last week, and although I walked in with a mentality that I wouldn't get anything out of it, God chose to speak to me through the valedictorian's speech. It was a Christian school, and I clearly remember one question she asked us all that I had to write down.

Do you choices draw you closer to God or away from God?

Thinking of these questions, i'm thankful that God places them in my mind throughout my day, my interactions and my experiences, and although sometimes it may be hard and i'll think "oh darn, that means I should probably do this instead" - even when I don't want to, I think it is one method God uses to sanctify me, and stretch me to become more and more like Him. I challenge you to give these questions a thought throughout your day and see where God takes you. Have a God-honoring day!

Comments

Popular Posts