How The Holy Spirit Reminds, Recognizes, & Reveals

There are three things I want to share with you this week. It is always encouraging when you see the Holy Spirit work, and since the new year started, i've been reminded, i've realized and i've been revealed to.

Reminded:
For much of my life, there have been so many times where i've felt/been called to something; to a position, to a role, to a responsibility, or i've been planted with a thought or a vision, and most of the time, my immediate response is "why me" "why does it have to be me" "why can't anyone else do it" "why didn't anyone else think of this". I guess sometimes I just wished that I wasn't the one chosen, I wasn't the one asked, and I wasn't the one picked. But I do follow the calling, and I end up taking it on because I don't think disobedience is an option. I realize that I talked about this a few posts ago, and i've learnt that it is an honour to serve the LORD, but in one of my conversations this past week I've realized that it is not only an honour to serve, but we should be thankful when the LORD decides to reveal these things to us, be thankful that He would even do that; be it a change to make, or a role to take up. I would say it is much better to have thought of these things rather than being ignorant and blinded to it.

Recognize: 
We're going through Genesis at church currently and as I watched the sermon on Genesis 22, Abraham's test to sacrifice his son Isaac, the question that challenged me was "do you desire and want God more than God's blessings and promises?" God promised Abraham a son, and after many years of waiting, He blessed him with one. But He tested Abraham by asking him to sacrifice this promise that was made to him years ago. As a man of faith, Abraham still followed through because he desired God more than what God had promised. Can I do the same? I reflect on my life and I realize I look ahead and dream of the good God can give, a future family, children etc... but do I want the blessings God can give more than I want God himself? I think I've recognized it as a wrong understanding I think its something I need to change. As John Piper says "God is most glorified in you when you are more satisfied in Him".

Revealed:
I can't believe it, but I've decided to go through the book of Leviticus with a friend for devotions. We're doing a chapter a week. Which means we'll be done Leviticus by the end of July or so. I've heard of how brutal some people have found the book and I was unsure of what to expect. Honestly, I never thought of looking into it. The reason why we chose Leviticus is because we originally wanted to do Hebrews but my study bible suggested to have a good understanding of Leviticus beforehand, which is why we're in Leviticus first. Anyways, i've been reading through the first chapter this entire week and I am amazed and blown away at how the Holy Spirit has guided my reading, revealing something new to me everyday.

The five main lessons I got out of Leviticus 1 were:

1) A burnt offering was used to make atonement for the person offering, and this points to Christ being the sacrifice that was "without blemish".

2) The types of animals offered helped provide essentials (cattle - meat/food, sheep - wool/clothes), and sacrificing your best ones required a firm faith in God's provision.

3) Everything was burnt on the alter, and in the same way as we are called to be living sacrifices in Romans 12:1, we are to give everything to the LORD.

4) Burnt offerings remind us of what we deserve, to be burnt in the fire for our sins and wrong doings; but not only what we deserve but what we were given instead, God's mercy and grace.

5) The type of offering didn't matter, if you had a cow, goat or bird, but it was the intent behind one's actions that made the offering a "pleasing aroma to the LORD". God wants your worship from your heart. >> so what does it mean to give God your heart?

I give thanks to God for all he's shown me and taught me this past week. All things come from Him and i'm excited and motivated to see where He will take me! Thanks for reading along!

Comments

Popular Posts