An Ambitious New Year

With the New Year right around the corner, I wanted to do a quick post on my New Years Resolutions (if you want to call them that). I've hinted at a few of them in previous posts but i'll go into a bit more detail as to why I chose them. Looking at the list, it does seem quite ambitious and I really don't know how well i'll keep up with them especially with how it didn't go so well last year, but who knows, its good to reflect and think ahead right?

Delete Instagram (a year at least?)

Social media is taking the world by storm, its connecting people from all over the world but at the same time its disconnecting people from face to face interactions. The double taps, the temporary snapshots, the likes, and the shares are almost on every app available. I'm on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, and thinking on my interactions with these apps, I think I am slowly getting caught up with all the likes and the attention of it all. I thought through the different apps; Facebook I primarily need for fellowship reasons, Twitter I could leave, but that wasn't where I was getting the "likes" from, and so I've decided to bid farewell to Instagram. I love editing pictures and photography, but maybe sometimes its better to keep them to oneself rather than thinking "let me edit this and share it so I can get those double taps". 

Taking a Sabbath Day

As I discussed in my previous post, i've been realizing that Christmas is about remembering Christ and I was wrestling with how to practically celebrate that. The three wise men gave gifts to Baby Jesus, so this upcoming year, my gift is my time, by dedicating an entire day to rest, refocus and reflection, to step away from the school work and the busyness of life. Sabbath isn't just about sitting around doing nothing though, I hope I can dedicate this day to other productive things, from intentionally meeting up with friends, meditating on scripture, prayer, blogging, reflecting; lots can be done! 

Being More Physically Active

Exercise has never been my thing, but the past little while, hearing everyone saying they're off to work out, or calling me a pair of chopsticks (someone actually did), it's actually been making me feel kinda guilty to be honest. On a side note, learning about muscle atrophy in my comparative animal physiology course gave me quite a haunting scare too. Like they say, use it or lose it! 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 talks about how our bodies are a temple of the Holy Spirit as the Spirit resides in us. Although this passage is in the context of sexual immorality, it does talk about how we are to honour God with our bodies, and our physical selves are gifts that we are to steward and care for wisely. This goes from eating right to making sure you get enough exercise. Whether if its finally taking up dance after contemplating it for 3-4 years, to forcing myself to the gym again, or if its just walking to school each day, hopefully I can do something more so I'm not just sitting on the couch day after day vegetating away. I think this one will be by far the most difficult one, especially with winter on its way, who wants to go out!? But nothing comes easy right?

Blog Weekly

This blog was dead this past year, and I really do think it's a great way to reflect and record memories, experiences and lessons learnt throughout my life. So I really want to blog more this upcoming year, hopefully you may find it as a source of encouragement too! or just something to read when your procrastinating, I don't know. 

Ambitious, I know. Feel free to check up on me throughout the year, I'll definitely appreciate the accountability and the extra nudge. Let's make 2015 a year of intentionality, be it loving others, being healthy, or seeking God; not because you have to, but because you want to. Cheers!

Comments

Popular Posts