Coming Home

"Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate."

This is the parable of the lost son, when a son left his father and his family to pursue his own wants, only to find that nothing satisfies. He finally comes to himself and turns back to go home as his father anxiously waits and greets him upon his return, preparing only the best for him.

This parable popped in my head yesterday when I got home from school. Although I hadn't sinned against my family, or done anything wrong, every time I come home, they prepare me my favourite food, they prepare all the best things for me, excited for my return. I don't expect or ask for any of it, but yet every time it happens. It reminds me of how blessed I am, and the endless love my family showers on me.

It only gets better because it parallels exactly with our heavenly Father's love, how he loved us before we were created, sending his son to be the ultimate sacrifice, completely forgiving us, justifying us, and making us new. His love is infinitely times more greater than the love here on earth. Regardless of the wrongs we've committed, our selfishness and our unfaithfulness, his arms are always open to welcome us home, making us who were first wretches into treasures.

How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure.

verse of the day: 1 John 3:1
See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him.

Comments

Popular Posts