Act Like Men Conference 2013

Over the past 24 hours, I had the opportunity to go down to Hamilton, Ontario and attend the Act Like Men Conference with a group of ACF Men who I really admired. Their spirituality, their strength and maturity and their love of God has captivated me since I walked in last September as a first year. Coming to this conference, I really didn't have any thoughts about it until we got to the stadium, hearing the roar, and seeing the gathering of thousands of men who love God; that's when it really sank in. This conference was jam-packed, with six sessions from five different speakers in less than 24 hours with worship in between, there was a lot I experienced and a lot I learned.

First was worship. Something about the worship at the conference was so different. It was transforming and it was so freeing. I found Vertical Church Band's music to be very simple, from easy to follow melody-wise, to the straight-forwardness in the lyrics.

"glory glory hallelujah you threw my shackles in the sea."

"show us your glory, show us your power, show us your glory Lord."

"the Lord our God is mighty in battle, we are not afraid. His hand upholds us through our trials, our God is strong to save."

It made worship so direct and relevant. I also found myself more free than ever, to the point where I felt like I couldn't praise him anymore because I physically limited; I couldn't sing any louder, I couldn't lift myself towards God any higher; it was a bit frustrating I guess you could say but it was very moving to be able to connect and proclaim our love for God through song. From the booming of the bass, to the roar of all the males, to the energy from the band, it all came together so nicely and produced such a perfect environment for worship. I found that it was during worship that I felt spoken to the loudest, through song and through music is always a way I find myself connected to Christ.

And of course there were the sessions, six sessions back to back, two at a time, it was quite a lot to take in for a span of 24 hours. They focused on 1 Corinthians 16:13-14. Although I haven't had the time to fully process, there were a few things that stood out to me that I think I've started to have a firmer grasp on.

First was from Matt Chandler, preaching that we are justified by God; declared blameless through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Not only justified, but adopted; the creator of the universe has come to you and has personally called you son/daughter. Justified, adopted, and constantly sanctified, refined by the Lord until glory. This is our God, and he delights in you despite who you are. You for ultimately and completely forgiven, past present and future.

Second, Mark Driscoll. To be completely honest, hearing about him, I was scared of what was going to go down when he came on stage. He was truthful and he yelled. He talked about being chains in a link. Every man is part of a chain, affected from those before you and having affecting those after you. So what kind of link will you be? A strong link or a weak link? What you do now will affect those to come and follow you, so be a man; lead and stand firm, being a strong link in the chain. Whether you are the first link, or the fifteenth, don't be the weak link where the chain breaks. Faith is the internal conviction which leads to external action. It's not just what we believe but how we behave as well.

And lastly was to be the man God has called you to be. It all goes back to the theme verse which sums it up simply, directly and clearly. Be watchful. Stand firm in the faith. Be strong. Let all that you do be done in love. and act like a man. I pray that God will continue to shape and mould me to become the man he wants and is calling me to be. I want to be a strong link, I want to lead, and I want to stand firm with the Lord; running, and fighting to the end of the race, finishing strong. I pray he will continue to make himself known louder in my life, illuminate his word ever more vividly before my eyes and transform me from within so that I may live a life pleasing to the Lord.  

verse of the day: 1 Corinthians 16:13-14
13 Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. 14 Let all that you do be done in love.

Comments

  1. I love this line " I found that it was during worship that I felt spoken to the loudest, through song and through music is always a way I find myself connected to Christ." I agree too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts