Trust The Process

Tonight's Loaf (#4)

As we count down the final days of summer, I am finding myself in a bread-making kick. Never would I have thought that I'd be baking bread from scratch but here I am on a third loaf within the past 24 hours (the first one failed, the second one was shared, and the third one is currently in the oven). Baking has always intimidated me - the need to be precise, working with yeast, the waiting and seeing; is unlike working the stovetop where you can just add and mix as you go. Even when baking small treats, I find myself double checking, triple checking if it was 3 cups or 4 cups, a tablespoon or teaspoon. 

Loaf #1: Inside was a bit dense but what a first go!

I was inspired to try baking bread because the chef at the farm this summer makes fresh bread each week and we had talked about it periodically. She gave me resources and referenced videos, she even gave me my own thermometer to check the internal temperature. I also promised her that I'd let her try some, so in my final week, after I had delayed fulfilling the promise, I finally went at it. And it came out PERFECT. I couldn't be more chuffed over my bread (mind you, the next one failed though).

Loaf 2: Dough didn't rise

The only bread I have worked on is based on a Brioche Hamburger Bun recipe which i'll link below. Butter, egg, milk, flour, water, sugar, salt and instant yeast is all you need, paired with some elbow grease. Having four loaves under my belt now, one thing I have had to lean into every time. To trust the process. 
The hardest part in bread-making is the kneading as you incorporate the ingredients together. Recipes may tell you how long to knead for or to look for certain cues so you know when you are done, but each loaf is different. Factors like room temperature, air moisture all play a part in what happens within your loaf. How was I to know if I had overworked my dough? Was it ready to proof? Should I stop? 

Every time I kneaded the dough, it changed and went through a variety of states. At first, the mixture is stringy and appears as if there was too much flour. As it hydrates, it gets incredibly sticky and I found myself doubting my measurements - was it not enough flour now? The worst part is when you incorporate the butter and it's just a mess. The dough doesn't stick to itself, butter is squirting left, right and centre; I had to look away several times, close my eyes and tell myself to trust the process rather than calling it quits and throwing in the towel. But lo and behold, as you continue to work at it, the butter slowly incorporates and it returns to the dough we all know, expect and love. Order gets restored. 

Loaf #3: Bitter crust but pillowy inside

How often are we "kneading" or being kneaded in life? How often are we working on something and we just don't know what is to come, how it might turn out or if just seems like a mess? How often are we tempted to just call it quits and start again? 

Tomorrow, I start my teaching career in a Grade 5/6 class. Not only am I trying to orient myself to figuring out what the first week of school looks like but layer that with our current pandemic circumstances, safety protocols, temperature guns, masks, neon yellow tape and a classroom of souls, I can't help but be a bit overwhelmed. What will happen tomorrow? Will it work out? Will I be successful? 
Trust the process. 
Press into the mess, be flexible and adaptable, but most importantly, trust in the Lord. HE is the one that girds us with strength and makes our way perfect. HE is the one that directs our ways as we commit our plans to Him. HE is the one who saves, HE is the one who teaches, HE is the one who grows. I praise God for He has, is and will lead me through this new uncertain and challenging season in life and as a result, I will grow and be shaped for His glory. 

Would you keep me in prayer this week as I take on this first week of school? 

If you want to give that bread a try, check out the video below (instructions and ingredients are also in the description box)!



Comments

Popular Posts