Talking SSA at Teens Conference 2018

Teens Conference (TC) is an annual two-day youth Christian conference for junior high and high school students, held over March Break. Running for 47 years and counting, I can recall participating as a student back in 2008 through 2011. And now, 10 years after my first Teens Conference, I was invited to return to facilitate a workshop where I shared my personal story and struggle with same-sex attraction, how to view LGBTQ+ related issues from a biblical perspective and how to journey alongside our LGBTQ+ friends.

Looking back on my own personal journey, the main responses I got when I had shared with close friends were "I don't know" and "i'll pray for you", which are totally valid answers (and was very much appreciated), however it made me wonder how many Christians were informed on the topic biblically, and if they were equipped to understand and care for our LGBTQ+ friends. And so, I saw this opportunity as ever critical to our youth today, especially since this topic can still be quite taboo, especially in the chinese churches. I have no doubt that there are countless students sitting in pews on sunday mornings, fearful and confused with what they're experiencing and feeling inside themselves. And as brothers and sisters, as fathers and mothers, we need to be ready to talk and walk alongside those who may be struggling, not just in this context but with any trial and hardship one may face.

I found myself quite encouraged as I prepared for my workshops. I had always shared my testimony without incorporating my struggle with same-sex attraction, and so it was a first for me to rework and rewrite my story to include this part of my life. As I tried to piece the puzzle chronologically, it was amazing to look back on how God had been at work when I couldn't see it. I found myself digging through my emails from 2011, rereading the countless exchanges between me and my pastors as I questioned and tried to navigate the confusion on how I felt and what the Bible says. I am so thankful that every time, my pastors would point me back to God's authoritative Word and other helpful resources/articles. It was by God's grace and his directing that I was able to be so biblically informed on the topic. And even today, I am so blessed by those who continue to willfully and intentionally journey with me. I'm reminded of how important it is to be in the Word, because if you are not informed by God's Word, you'll be informed by mere opinions, your feelings, and what the world has to say, which likely won't be similar to the truth that God, the Creator has to say. 

Going into this week, I really wasn't too sure what to expect. Hearing "Grade 7-12" didn't really help when it came to considering my audience - until I saw them all walk by me as they headed to their respective workshops. During the Junior component of TC, I only had 9-12 students per workshop. I can't say that I wasn't nervous as I began my one hour timeslot in such an intimate setting and blank stares all around. However, God sustained and strengthened me each and everyday. He even provided a pastor that I had never met before to pray for me, encourage me and debrief with me afterwards. It was nice to just share and get some of my thoughts and questions out of my system after my talk. Though the Junior kids were young, they sure didn't hold back on their questions. They asked about asexuality, gender roles, the salvation of aborted babies, and even animals that exhibited homosexual behaviour. Though I felt inadequate when answering their questions, I was so encouraged to see that they were asking such tough questions and I urged them to not just dismiss them but to keep asking and to seek the answers in God's authoritative word.

My numbers jumped to 19-21 for the high schoolers, which was expected. Transgenderism, biblical manhood/womanhood, same-sex marriages, nature vs nuture, were some of the common themes throughout our time of Q&A. Again, I felt inadequate, but was encouraged that they were willing to ask hard questions. It was an honour to minister to over 60 students this week, and even within the hour or so that I got to spend with them, my heart cries out for them, pleading that the Lord would protect and save them, and to use them boldly to be bright lights in the dark world we live in.

It's been many years that I've been struggling with same-sex attraction. I look back and remember when it was a dark secret that I had to hide, but today, I am amazed and thankful to see how God has used this struggle (though ever real and still ever difficult) for good, revealing to me one of its many purposes as it has led to opportunities like this for me to encourage and equip others. I am humbled that God would even consider using me for his kingdom work. Who knows how He will use you and your trials of life? He is good! To God be all glory.

Comments

  1. jason,i read your blogs and am encouraged by your faith and by how God has used you already and will use you again.Be strong in your faith and courageous.jetty.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts