God at The Arboretum: Blessings Upon Blessings (Part 2)

September-December 2016

My one month countdown begins shortly at The Arboretum. I look back on how God has ever so graciously provided for me time and time again. And so I wanted to look back and remember his faithfulness and kindness towards me, how He has grown me, and what He has taught me. If you missed Part 1: Getting The Job, you can read it HERE.

And so I started my one year internship! I remember coming in on day one as the new intern; it wasn't all too different. I continued leading my hikes, and planned my programs. A week or two in, I got a letter confirming my extension; and I remember looking at the salary number and thinking "that looks really big"... and with a few quick calculations I realized the pay changed (dramatically)! No one ever informed me of this and so I was completely unaware but I was over the moon. So thankful that God would continue to shower His blessing on me this way. Little did I know that was just the beginning.

I had a family trip to Australia/Tasmania/Hong Kong planned in Mid-October, and just weeks before take off, I got an email from the University, informing me about the basic benefits plan I was eligible for because of my one-year internship. Taken by surprise again, I went to the meeting and found out I had travel insurance too! Just in time before my trip. Praise God! I also ended up getting new glasses (after I broke them at the trampoline park) and orthotics that were paid for and covered by my benefits plan!

Fast forwarding a couple of weeks, I was in the land down under! It wasn't paid for by work unfortunately, but it was a quieter season at The Arboretum and I was graciously allowed to take three whole weeks off for the trip! When it comes to taking time off, we don't have any vacation days to use, and so I had decided to use my banked hours (from my Wednesday evening walks in the summer) on this trip. Going into it, I had about half of hours I needed saved and was planning to somehow make up the other half afterwards (there was no way I was missing out on the income I could earn)! We went from Australia to Tasmania, and then finished the trip in Hong Kong. I remember sitting in a cafe one day, soaking up the free wifi and getting yet another email from the University. Opening the PDF, I was informed that due to my one-year internship that I was eligible for fifteen paid vacation days! Which literally perfectly covered my entire trip and meant that I didn't have to use my banked hours or be in debt of hours I owed work! I couldn't believe it. Why they don't tell me all this from the get go, I have no idea.

By the time Christmas came around, I realized what a blessing it was to be working as University staff. The pay, the benefits, the vacation days, but also the holidays! I had pretty much a whole week and a half off between Christmas and New Years since the school was closed. Looking ahead, I definitely wasn't opposed to finding an office job at the University after my contract ended.

All this being said, my goal of this post wasn't to boast or gloat in my benefits or pay, however I wanted to share in how God had provided for me, in His perfect timing. He is a good and gracious God, and has given me more than I deserve. With that I am grateful and want to steward the gifts He's given me well. It is easy to get caught up with the now, and we all go through different seasons. However, I encourage you to take some time to look back, recall what God has done for you the past couple of years and give him praise. All glory be to God!

Previous 'God at The Arboretum' Posts

Comments

Popular Posts