Too Fast

Today was a good day, but it fell short when the day ended a bit sour. After a full day of hanging out with friends, I was driving home and as I approached a bend before pulling into my parking space, I had to quickly turn to avoid a vehicle that was there. Successfully pulling into my spot, I noticed that the other car came and parked in the space right next to me and I thought "oh this is gonna be awkward".  I got out of my car and with his window down he said to me "I'm the president of this complex and you were driving way too fast here, so fast that you had swerve to avoid my car. You cannot be driving like this. I'm going to take your license plate number and if I see you driving like that again, you'll be sure to get a notice." Embarrassed, I nodded and thanked him for warning me and went inside.

I felt horrible. I'm not usually one that gets into trouble even when I was young, but when I do, it shakes me up. I felt bad for breaking rules and getting caught but I found it really bothersome to me. I started coming up with excuses thinking, "well tons of other people do that and they haven't been caught" or "why did he have to be so blunt about it" or "oh goodness I'm screwed if he catches me doing that again". I don't know, I was just a bit upset that such a great day ended on such a sour note. 

So I went to the Lord in prayer. I confessed my sin and just started to talk it out with God. By the grace of God I was able to refocus and change my potentially angry and bitter mindset to one of thanksgiving. I thank God that I didn't get into an accident. I thanked God that he gave me a warning that I 100% deserved. I thanked God that He used this incident to humble me. I thanked God that the president was doing his job, looking out for the safety of the other residents there and my own safety instead of just ignoring it. I thanked God that even in these situations that God is continually sanctifying me (Philippians 1:6). 

I praise God that He disciplines his children because He loves them (Proverbs 3:12). Hebrews 12:11 came to mind, "for the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it." 

Though it may not have been the way I would've wanted, I do love and delight when I see God at work in the everyday moments of my life. And though my day didn't end as I may have wanted, it was a reminder that God loves me and is mightily at work. Have you been able to see God at work in your life from your day to day? 

Comments

Popular Posts