Doubly Blessed

It's family day weekend! It was a pleasure to be home with family and friends. I've really missed some of them and it was a delight catching up with them even though my time at home was cut short (no reading week for this working man!). But, it's weekends like this that I find myself incredibly torn. 

It has always been a struggle for me the past year or so, as convocation and my future approached, figuring out what was next for me. Would I stay in Guelph? Would I go back to Toronto? I've really enjoy being here in Guelph and God has graciously snuggled me into a wonderful gospel-centred community here - I am challenged by great biblical preaching, and I am loved by a hospitable, friendly and warm body of Christ which God has graciously given me. Home on the other hand, is home - it's where i've grown up, my parents, my childhood, and there is also another beautiful community of knit and edifying friendships that I thank God for. 

I've learnt that I am a very emotionally connected person, and once invested, i'm all in. Even saying goodbye to a group of camp kids that I led regular programs for in the summer pulled heart strings (I know right?). Once I start building relationships, it makes no sense to me for them to just end and for life to just move on. Though the reality is that in different seasons, God gives us different people in our lives. 

Usually, by staying in Guelph I get swayed in a few days and think "yup, i'm gonna stay here" but quick weekends of seeing old friends just throws me back into a state of confusion and doubt, "why did I choose to be in Guelph?" - and I foresee this happening as I go back and forth between the two places. Which one will I have to let go of? Where will I end up? What is God's plan? 


But this weekend, my friend helped me to see it in a new, different and a much more positive light. She helped me realize that rather than choosing and comparing between the two places and all they offer, the reality is that our gracious, loving and generous God has given me two places I can call home, two sets of families (well, probably more than two) that have loved and welcomed me so deeply, two communities that I can find myself in. I am doubly blessed! Praise God! He is so good and I need to remember to be thankful and content, cherishing the time I have with both sets of friends and family. 
God settles the solitary in a home; he leads out the prisoners to prosperity, but the rebellious dwell in a parched land. - Psalm 68:6 
How good and pleasant it is when God's people live together in unity! - Psalm 133:1
 

Comments

Popular Posts