Conversations with a Deaf Man

This past Thursday, I got to finally return to AGAPEcafe, a local soup kitchen that I serve at. Though I was quite tired that day, I did not know that God had a unique opportunity awaiting me. There were plenty of volunteers that night (praise God!), but that also meant that some could sit and chat with those who came in. I will say that the first thought that ran through my head was "so I could have not come today then". But i'm glad I stayed.

As food was being served, I made my rounds to different tables, greeting those coming in and catching up with those i've missed because of my trip. And as one conversation ended and as my eyes wandered around the room, I made eye contact with a fellow individual whom I recognized. He was one of the few deaf individuals that came regularly.

I waved hello and then decided to head over since there was an empty seat next to him. I wasn't sure what I thought would happen by going over there considering I didn't know sign language and thus couldn't communicate with him, but once I sat down, he began to communicate with me. I remember sitting there thinking "oh gosh, how am I going to break it to him that I have no idea what he's saying" while nodding and smiling and pretending like I understood. I tried, but I had no idea where to begin, and most of the stuff I just assumed I was interpreting it correctly. Thankfully, he pulled out pen and paper which was a big help and we introduced ourselves. As the conversation went on, I tried so hard to remember the simple alphabet in sign language that my friend had taught me several times previously, but I couldn't recall anything.

It was really nice having pen and paper, so I quickly found some more and we began to communicate. He shared his story about his family and his life, we talked about playing guitar, since there was someone playing guitar at our table, I asked him if he knew Jesus and he shared about how he reads his Bible and prays everyday, he taught me some basic words like "coffee", "tea", "Guelph", and "Kitchener", and I learnt the alphabet (again) and can actually still recall it! We ended up talking for almost two hours until the soup kitchen closed up. I was actually still really tired throughout the night, but it was a great night. I thanked him for talking to me, gave him a big hug before he left and let him know that he was my newest friend.

I was so thankful that I got to have such a conversation and that he was patient enough to talk and share with me even though I could not understand or respond. Can you imagine what it is like to have the majority of people you encounter not understand you because they don't know sign language? I would think that it could get quite lonely - how many conversations has he even had at the soup kitchen? Maybe more people know sign language than I think, but that night really gripped my heart for this demographic. There is a need and we must not neglect it! And the greater need, is that they are equally in need of the gospel and need to be reached out to.

Such an experience also reminded me that everyone that comes into the soup kitchen day after day; in fact, everyone we encounter has a story, has hurts and pains, has worries and joys, has likes and dislikes. They're all human! They're just like you and I. It baffles me that I could forget this simple truth so easily but i'm especially mindful of it when people, like my new friend here, open and share their life with you.

Always be ready and open to the unexpected situations that the LORD will put you in, and even if it's challenging or frustrating - press on, He is using you and moulding you.

I've been inspired and moved to start learning some basic sign language, and hopefully I can learn the gospel in sign language too. If you're interested - below is a great video to get started with.



Comments

Popular Posts