Convocation

It's the season of convocations and graduations! This past Friday, I convocated from the University of Guelph with a Bachelor of Science - majoring in Wildlife Biology and Conservation Science, with a minor in Child and Family Studies. 4 years and 28,000 ish dollars later - I walked across the stage, shook hands with the vice-chancellor and wrapped up this chapter of my life.

Many people say that your convocation is a day you do not want to miss. Even during the ceremony, we were instructed to truly treasure those minutes because they are once-in-a-lifetime minutes. Convocation is a time to celebrate one's academic accomplishments, to take pride in all the hard work that has paid off - and I could see it very clearly every time I scroll through my newsfeed.

If it was your turn to celebrate this year, congratulations!

But as I reflected the day before and the morning of my convocation, I realized that I wanted to approach this special day with a different mindset. Yes, it is a time to celebrate, but rather than celebrating me and my achievements, I wanted to turn it around and direct all the glory and praise back to God. These past four years, and in fact, these past 21 years of my life were only possible by God's good grace, mercy, provision and blessing.

He is the one who provided me with the chance to receive post-secondary education.
He is the one who granted me the different bursaries and scholarships that helped pay for part of my tuition.
He is the one who placed me here in Guelph, in the fellowship I served at, in the church i've become plugged into.
He is the one who has put me through several challenges and trials, from homesickness to theology, that have helped discipline, teach and build me and my character.
He is the one who has blessed me with lifelong friends and community whom I can walk alongside with.

and I can go on...

But I look back on all the different experiences i've had these past four years that have shaped me and moulded me into who I am today, I think of how God has been faithful at every single moment, seeing me through the end as He will continue to do so. I am where I am today because God has willed it to be and because God has been faithful and good to me.

So as you convocate, as you graduate, I hope that you may also take it in with a thankful and grateful heart for all that has fallen into place for you (the good and the bad) to get you where you are - and i'd like to think it all is because of a Heavenly Father who created you and me, who loves you and me, and who desires a dear and sweet relationship with you and me.

Comments

Popular Posts