Serving at GACF

The past three years, I have been serving at the Guelph Asian Christian Fellowship in one capacity or another. In second year, I served on committee as the Prayer Coordinator, and the past two years as the President/Chair of the fellowship. Finally passing on the baton, I wanted to quickly (probably not) jot down a few lessons I learnt throughout the time God has placed me in this ministry.

1. Serving is a Time of Sanctification
I've heard before that when you end up in ministry, God uses it to grow you (sometimes more than others/those who you are investing in). Not that this should be a main motive to be in a serving position, but it really is amazing to look back and to see how i've grown throughout my three years.

Faithfulness, not Fruitfulness - It is so easy to get caught up with numbers when you're serving, how many people are showing up to fellowship, why does it seem like numbers are dwindling - many times that's how success is measured in the world, the bigger the better. In the same way, this idea found its way into my mind as I led prayer meetings in second year. I remember the times I sat in the office, waiting for people to show up, waiting for anyone to show up, before deciding that it'll just me and God that day. It was discouraging for sure, and I remember learning back then that my faithfulness to my role was important, and not just the numbers that show up (fruitfulness). What's even more amazing to see is how through the faithfulness of the past prayer coordinators, there has been fruit seen, especially this year! God was at work across generations of prayer coordinators, it's important to not just think that the end goal will be reached within your time in ministry (while also not belittling God's ability!). It was encouraging to see that God has been stirring within the hearts of the fellowship and people have been recognizing the power of prayer, and the importance of prayer together as a community. I continue to challenge prayer coordinators far and wide to strive to cultivate not a people that comes to prayer meetings, but a people of prayer.

Being Responsible and Owning Up To Your Mistakes - I was one of those first years that was nudged last minute to sign up for fall retreat - strictly camping with no electricity in the middle of autumn, and I remember not having the best experience that first year. It was pouring, I was cold and didn't pack appropriately and though I did get to meet a lot of people at retreat, I told myself that I wasn't coming back. So the following year, I did just that. Even as a committee member, selfish me came up with an excuse to not go to retreat even though it was "mandatory" by committee members. The worst part was that upon their day of return, all the photos were uploaded and as I scrolled through them, I felt like my family had gone on vacation without me. What ended up happening was that I apologized to committee, not because I missed out on the fun, but because it was irresponsible of me to not go as a leader. It wasn't setting an example and I wasn't pulling my weight, whether if it was leading small group discussions or whatever responsibilities I were to have at retreat. It was a mistake I made as a leader, but i'm glad there was grace and I was able to continue though I had failed in this aspect.

Your Heart Catches Up - Serving can be toiling on you, and I remember in my first and second year on committee, I struggled with finding joy to serve. Many times I felt like I was just doing it because I had to, even though I knew I was supposed to be finding joy in serving the LORD and His people, but that simply didn't translate to my heart. It was frustrating! But as i've commented and learnt in recent posts, your heart catches up - the Holy Spirit IS at work as we are actively and patiently waiting on Him. Your heart will get there. Continue in faith!

2. Serving is Uncomfortable
I remember sitting on my bed one night during reading week, ready to submit my application for Chair. It was terrifying, I wasn't fully sure what was in store (I knew I was already fearing the "sermon" for fall retreat) but I told God that I was going to submit this upcoming year to Him and for Him to use me as He desires. Was I ready for the position? Not at all, but if you were 100% prepared and ready for a position, what would be your need for faith? For reliance on God? I remember praying that God would not put me in a position where i'm comfortable to the point where I feel fully prepared and would be tempted to rely on myself rather than God. Even if you were 100% ready, i'm sure God has a few curveballs he's ready to throw your way.

I remember my very first program as chair, I thought I had everything figured out, until I realized the projector was sitting in my room at home, 45 mins prior to the beginning of fellowship. Stressed, I panicked, found someone to go home and grab it, tried to rearrange the schedule to accomodate, tried to keep my cool (as the two previous chairs who graduated walked into the room without any notice - "were they here to judge me and what i've been doing with the committee over the summer?" - were my thoughts when they walked in). Long story short, everything worked out, and I learnt that as prepared as I was, as in control I thought I was - God stood right there reminding me that He was in ultimate control.

Do you trust that God will see you through the hardships and the curveballs? Do you believe that you can strongly cling to God who is our refuge and our strength? God is faithful, and He has seen me through the past few years - even when i've forgotten that He has and have been unfaithful, He continues to see me through. He will do the same for you!

3. Serving is a Team Effort
I'm pretty sure that most of the time in ministry you won't be alone. And though this lesson seems to be such an obvious one, it may have been one of the greatest lessons i've learnt. I'll confess and say that I had a hard time trusting my team in the beginning - was it simply because I thought they couldn't do it well, or because I thought that my way was better, I don't know or remember, but I remember it was difficult for me to delegate tasks. Even when I did, I felt like I needed to be on their case to make sure everything was going to plan. Maybe not because I wanted to, but maybe because I felt like that was my role as the chair? (mind you, it was my first time doing this "chair" thing) I remember talking to a friend and she shared that when you give small, little roles to your leaders, you're making them just that, little leaders, you're limiting their capabilities to small tasks - it's not until they get a bigger task that you can allow them to grow, be challenged (you and them!). At the same time, a failure to trust the team that God has entrusted you is a failure to trust God Himself, a failure to believe that God is in control and that He will see you through! God gives you a team for a reason, to work with, to rely on, to support and be supported. It is a gift and a blessing from the LORD!

It's astounding to see what a team can do when they are unified. Just this past year, there have been several occasions where I saw our team of leaders rally together to build one another up - I was encouraged to see others take initiative, and through those times, we grew closer together. A specific example is with the prayer ministry. I think for many years, we've seen how the prayer ministry has been struggling, and the issue was finally put under the spotlight, centerstage, and we all got to work together to invest in and discuss how we could improve and grow this ministry. It wasn't just a discussion and a time for suggestions before handing the work over to the prayer coordinator, but everyone got involved, everyone played a role, big or small to see it through! That's how a team should work. Sometimes I feel like we get so caught up in our roles, and whatever is outside of our "job description" isn't of our concern, but as a team and as servants, we go and help wherever and whatever is needed - let us cultivate that dynamic more!

4. Serving is an Honour
No matter how many years you've been in it, no matter the obstacles or the tribulations God has put you through, no matter how tiring or how frustrating it may be working with others (and yourself), this simple reminder has stuck with me - that it is an honour to serve the LORD.

Even when it comes to serving to LORD with his mission to bring forth His kingdom (as we are all commanded to do), He chose us (humans) to be his means of spreading the gospel - we were plan A and there was no plan B. He could have easily just written the Gospel in the sky or something, but He chose and gave us the honour to be a part of His mission - even though He didn't need us to fulfill it. What a gracious and mighty God we serve! - In the same way, when we are placed in a position to serve, regardless if it's on the leadership team or not - it's an honour and a privilege.

I am so grateful for being able to serve the fellowship these past three years. There has been times of difficulty, uncertainty, but also joy and encouragement - and they've all contributed to my sanctification, but more importantly for God's glory. Praises!

the closest I could get to a Committee 2013-2014 photo...

GACF Committee 2014-2015 

GACF Committee 2015-2016

Comments

Popular Posts