Lent 2016

Easter comes round the corner early this year (March 27th), and i'm glad that this year I get to catch the Lent Season like how I did with the Advent Season in December. I often find myself in the midst of it when I realize it's actually happening. The purpose of lent is to prepare oneself for the death and resurrection of Christ, by giving something up over 40 days and re-directing that time back to God. 
"It is a period to empty ourselves of lesser things so that we may be filled with greater things of the gospel" - Geoff Ashley
So this time around, i've decided to switch things up a bit. First, i've challenged the committee (and have invited the fellowship) to do it together - hopefully it'll be a way to continue unifying our team as we walk through the season (and these final months) together. Second, each week will be different, so there will be something given up, and something to replace it with - all independent of each other, so it's not cumulative (but if you want to step it up a notch, by all means). And lastly, we're challenging our minds as we will aim to memorize our vision passage, Colossians 3:1-17.

The first two weeks are "your choice" because as unique and different individuals, there are different things that may be taking up our time, things that distract us and may be worldly but not exactly sinful. I've decided to give up YouTube for the first two weeks of lent. It is incredibly crazy to think how much time I can easily spend on that. Even though I mainly use it when I take breaks from work, or as rewards for certain things - the fact that I invest so much time in people that put their lives on camera, people who I don't even know, is crazy! How does it further God's kingdom? How does it build myself or others up? I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with it, but considering the precious time that God has given us, each breath that He puts in our lungs, how can I be better stewarding my time for His glory and kingdom?

Are you practicing Lent this year? It starts this Wednesday on February 10th, and ends March 24th.

Comments

Popular Posts