Let's Talk About Mental Health

Over these past few weeks, there has been one thing i've been incredibly aware of, that has been brought to my attention and has got me thinking a lot about. Mental health. Now I am by no means an expert as I myself am also rather new to this subject, but with what has happened over the last little while, I want to do my part by raising awareness about this issue that has always been around, but yet has rarely been spoken of.

Several people have come and shared with me their struggles with mental health, be it aspergers, depression, panic attacks, the list goes on. I'm glad that a few of my Child and Family courses have touched on some of these so i've been exposed to the idea of it all, but at the same time, my knowledge is very limited. I've been slowly learning more and more about it. For example, for those who may be wrestling with depression, I know that sometimes they just feel completely helpless, have no motivation and just want to lie in bed, sometimes they don't even want to eat. As someone who does not struggle with this, it has been a struggle in itself to try to understand what that feels like. The insensitive me would just think "just eat" or "just get out of bed", but as I try to put myself in their shoes, I realize its not as simple as it may seem at first glance. 

Although I may not know too much about mental health, I've been learning how to respond to those who may be struggling with it. 

Show grace and compassion. For those who are struggling with mental illnesses, you must know that you are not alone. Not only in the context of mental health, but you have to remember that everyone has their own struggles and their own baggage. This is something I have been realizing. I have often felt alone in my own personal struggles, and as I have become more aware of others and their struggles, alike or different, it almost seems like God has given us the specific storms we face for a reason. James 1 tells us to consider all trials as pure joy because it tests our faith and teaches us to completely and wholly depend on the LORD. We all face trials. It can be addiction, sexual immorality, or physical pain, but regardless, everyone is broken. Jesus has shown both you and I grace and compassion, He loves us, and continues to pursue us even in our sinful state. Run to him. In the same way, we as the Church, the body of Christ are to respond with grace and compassion. The Church should be a place where people can come as they are, feel safe and be loved. As fellow believers, let us show this love to everyone, as we are all equally broken. The LORD has lovingly granted us a fellowship and a community to support each other, carry one another's burdens, and to walk through the trials of life together. He has not meant for you to walk alone. 

"my grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 
2 Corinthians 12:9-10

Be sensitive. Just because you are not aware of those who are battling mental illnesses doesn't mean those people aren't around you. Watch what you say, be careful of what you do. I've learnt that different things can trigger depression, from a simple phrase to a full on event. Although we may not be able to stop and prevent ourselves from doing anything that may trigger something as they are unknown, the take away message to be sensitive, not just to them but to anyone around you. You don't know their story, you don't know their struggles, so be considerate with your words and your actions. 

Educate yourself. Don't know about mental health and illness? Take the initiative to learn about it! The talk on mental health has been on the rise; you may have heard or seen that Bell has started a Bell Let's Talk campaign to raise awareness; there are resources all over the internet and especially with how technology has advanced, all the information we need is at our fingertips! If you're a visual learner, watch a documentary! If you want to read up on it, read up on it! Do what it takes to make yourself aware of it, so when an opportunity does arise, you know how to respond and you know how to help. You can start on the Bell Let's Talk website HERE

I'll leave you with this, no matter what trial you may be going through, may this be a reminder and an encouragement for you to keep your eyes fixed on the LORD.

"so we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal." 

2 Corinthians 4:16-18

Comments

Popular Posts