2013: God's People, Providence and Promises

Counting down the final hours of 2013, I really wanted to take some time to reflect on how the past 365 days have gone by. Time does fly, and if we never take the time to sit down and ponder on how we've grown and how we've changed, we'll probably end up sweeping it aside and taking it for granted. Sometimes we shouldn't always be focusing on the future and what is ahead, but instead look back and see how far we've come. I've divided my year into three, and thought of how I could sum up  what i've learnt in these three chunks in one statement or a few words.

God's People (January-April)
This was my second semester of my first year of university ever. It was the second half of my transition period, and there were huge changes this year. But looking back at my old posts I think the biggest thing I encountered was God's people and the community He grants me with. God didn't create us to live life alone. ACF is a home away from home, a second family, and a group of people who have pushed, challenged and pointed me towards God and all the growth i've had ever since i've stepped into the City of Guelph is because God's grace has blessed me with this fellowship. I've rambled several times about this group of people and I cannot thank them or God enough. Here's this highlight in a much lengthier post: http://spiritual-suitcase.blogspot.ca/2013/04/eight-months-ago-now.html
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins. Show hospitality to one another without grumbling. As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace: whoever speaks, as one who speaks oracles of God; whoever serves, as one who serves by the strength that God supplies—in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. To him belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen."
- 1 Peter 4:8-11
God's Providence (May-August)
My summer and everything leading up to it this year has been quite a journey, from picking doors walk through and ending up crawling through a window, God's providence and plan is only seen at the end when the entire picture is pieced together. It really challenged me to trust and put my faith in Him with what was to come. I didn't get the job I wanted, my back up job fell through, and even though I ended up in a basement, God provided just as he promised. I learnt that sometimes you don't know what's to come and as scary as it is, its okay knowing that the God of the Universe has your back. I do a lot of reflection posts and here's the one for the summer: http://spiritual-suitcase.blogspot.ca/2013/09/summers-come-gone.html
"You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed."
- Psalm 139:16
God's Promises (September-Decemeber)
Halfway through my first semester of second year, I feared that I would come out not know what i've learnt unlike last year. I decided to start a growth tracking journal, where i'd write down and keep the little lesson i've learnt throughout the term. Looking back I think that i've really come to understand God's promises.

Evangelism has been the big thing on my heart the past little while, and the thought of it has pushed me to repent and turn away from a life of illegal downloading and streaming, and it has challenged me past boundaries that I would not have expected to cross so soon. I never thought I was meant for evangelism, being bad with my words, I firmly anchored myself in the statement "conduct yourself in a holy/godly manner and people will question why you're different" as the excuse to not speak about my faith. But after months and years of no one asking me such questions, I began to realize the need to share the gospel verbally, and it wasn't until October or so until I took it upon myself, realizing this was a command from God. It's called The Great Commission, not The Great Option.

I got to share the gospel with a few friends this semester, and each time i've learnt something different. First, I learnt that even in the midst of a society that mocks Christianity, pokes fun at Jesus and uses the Lord's name in vain without knowing, that some people really don't know what the gospel is. It surprises me every time I ask "have you heard of the gospel" and the response is "no". There are people that really haven't heard the truth of God's love and good news, and it really pushed the urgency to share it all the more. Second, I learnt that we are just bearers of the good news, we are only sharing them this gift, but rejection or acceptance, they are ultimately choosing to reject or accept God. There should be no fear in sharing the gospel, especially knowing that if God is for us, that no one can be against us (Romans 8:31). With this specific friend, it was peaceful knowing God was with me (Matthew 28:20), and the Spirit was speaking through me (Matthew 10:20). Lastly, I learnt that this gospel can really impact someone. Most of my experiences, my friends have just been open to hearing about it, but I was once told that "what you've told me is really enlightening and comforting". I never thought sharing my faith could result in such a positive response and it was encouraging knowing God was at work. All glory be to God.
And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
- Matthew 20:18-20
"A good year is not defined by your worldly accomplishments, but by how your relationship with God has bettered." With that being said, I think I can say that 2013 was a good year. A year of God's people, provision and promises, and I look forward to seeing how He will work, challenge, and push me closer to Him these next 365 days.

verse of the day: Romans 11:36
36 For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts