I, The Fig Tree

"Jesus was hungry and when he searched a fig tree and found no figs, he said "may no fruit ever come from you again!" and the tree immediately withered." (Matthew 21:19)

The other day, I was doing my devotions and for the first time I found myself laughing. In Matthew 21, Jesus curses a fig tree because it had not bore no fruit while he was hungry. I couldn't understand why Jesus was so dramatic, it seemed a bit unnecessary to kill a whole tree just because it had no fruit on it.

Later that day, I got to share my devotions and my thoughts on this with a friend and she saw it in a different perspective. When you think about it more and more, the fig tree actually represents us, and as followers of Christ, we are to bear and produce good fruit. If we produce bad fruit, or no fruit at all, it is said that the branches will be cut off and burned (John 15). She helped me realize that Jesus wasn't being dramatic, but that is exactly how he feels towards those who bear no fruit. He takes it very seriously. I pray that I continue to bear such fruit, to be challenged, to grow and have a greater faith. God is good!

verse of the day: John 15:4-6
Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned.

Comments

Popular Posts