Gospel Centered Discipleship (V)


Chapter 5: Gospel Power: The Essential Role of The Holy Spirit

I know i've been pretty slow with reading the book, and going through such a dry period really makes me not feel like doing stuff like this, but I'm trying to press on with it. Reflecting and talking with friends the past week really is helping me realize the amount of effort I put into my relationship with Christ and I really need to step up my game. I know it, but the worst part is I'm not doing much to really further it.

Back to the book. Dodson explains in this chapter that the Holy Spirit is the main motivation behind the motivations discussed in the chapter previously. He reveals that often times, the Spirit is often pushed aside, and is neglected compared to the rest of the Trinity.

Gospel Holiness is something we should be striving for; it is defined as "obedience to Christ procured from belief in the gospel, not from one's moral effort." It is not to be mixed up with morality, which is more self-centered and does not hold Christ high above failures and successes.

The Spirit is so significant because we need it to working our lives, its presence allows us to "express genuine faith in God". At the same time, its power is necessary, as it motivates us to obey God. As we live with, in and by the Spirit, we are able to produce good fruit, just as it says in Galatians 5, and as we are in tune with the Spirit, our hearts change as God gives us a heart of flesh instead of a heart of stone (Ezekiel 36).

"The Spirit regenerates us so that our lifeless hearts can beat for God in lives of obedient worship and adoration of the Lord Jesus Christ."

Now, Dodson looks back to Jesus and uses him as an example, probably the best example you can find out there, to show the work of the Spirit in two main areas, decision making and overcoming temptation. Firstly, decision making. How often do you turn to the Spirit for help? We should always be discerning the Holy Spirit's direction for our lives. Today I tried praying to the Spirit and it felt so odd not saying "Father" or "God". I strongly believe that everything that happens happens for a reason, and there's always something you can take out of the experiences and opportunities you have, especially the unplanned situations that occur.

"Instead of becoming inconveniences and injustices, unplanned change could become an opportunity to rely on the Spirit to discern God's will and purpose in our circumstances."

Overcoming temptation is the second way of how the Spirit works, and its shown clearly when Jesus is tempted in the desert. "Jesus followed the leading of the Spirit, relied on his power, and trusted in the promises of God"; reciting scripture and remember God's everlasting and satisfying promises.

"...communing with each person of the Trinity through the day by praying to the Father in the morning, the Son in the evening, and the Spirit in the afternoon."

I really want to put this into practice; i've always seen it as praying to one person, God but we should always be in communion with the rest of the Trinity. I also assume that "afternoon" means throughout the day, constantly relying and asking the Spirit to guide us. The last bit that I want to apply is surrendering to the Spirit. The book talks about its promptings, when you want to pray for someone, or being tugged to share your faith; they're all nudges from the Spirit and we should follow it, instead of ignoring it or deeming it as a rational option.

"The Spirit is prompting you all the time to believe the gospel, to serve others, to choose what is good and true, and to walk in gospel holiness."

verse of the day: Ezekiel 36:26-27
26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. 27 And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.

Comments

Popular Posts