A Second Go

The leaves are starting to turn beautiful hues of red, orange and yellow. The streets are getting busier with cars, bikes and pedestrians and the big honkin' yellow buses are tell tale signs that school is back. Just like that, my second year of teaching has begun, and it has come with it's own flood of additional stresses. However, I have had the most incredible week. I am simply up and over the moon with how it went. 

To give teaching a second go was a refreshing and exciting thought. Just the fact that I had done it once before (regardless of how well it went) was comfortable and there was a sense of familiarity. That being said, I never would have expected it to have gone that well. By the end of the first day, I had totally fallen for my class (as expected). Half the students I already knew, and the other half I had already gotten to know last year. A big shoutout to the 3/4 teacher as her training of the students was fundamental to this class dynamic. Kids were organized and ready (for the most part) and were respectful and cooperative. Not only that, but I had my first music classes too with the JK-4 classes. I have a strong feeling that this year has great potential to be an incredible teaching experience. 

Last year, I planned like a mad cow. I actually realized that I would be redoing my day plans three different times each week. I did a week overview before I proceeded to (kind-of) fill out my day planner and then created a powerpoint outlining each class and lesson for each and every day. It was a lot of work, and the best part was, it rarely ever went that way. So this year, one of my goals is to be more low-tech (reduce my use of powerpoints and screens) and so far, I've been surprised at how I've adapted to going with the flow. Now mind you, the first week of classes is a mishmash of get-to-know-you activities, outlining classroom expectations and establishing routines so I'll have to keep you posted as to how it plays out. 

The theme I've chosen for my class this year is; Colossians 3:17 - Try your best, Be your best, and Do your best. This was based on the Charlotte Mason principle of giving your best effort, the first and every time. I hope my students will learn to try new things and do their best when communicating, completing their work and learning. Trying your best relates to having a positive attitude towards new or challenging circumstances. Being your best is focused on one's own character and conduct as one seeks to love God and love neighbour through their actions, words and thoughts. Doing your best is about giving your best effort in your work. Though it does not demand perfection, "good enough" isn't good enough. I hope my students will grow in developing these good work habits as they complete minor tasks such as writing their name and making their bed to major tasks be it building a house, working a 9-5 office job and/or teaching their future children.


On top of all that, I had my first shift at Na Ha Thai, my favourite Thai restaurant in Guelph last night. Yes, I took on a part time job; but before you gasp, it is only for 5 hours a week! At 4pm last night I was thrust into the kitchen to work the curry station and I had learn quick. It was hot, there was fire everywhere, orders were coming in, but once I started to get my rhythm, it became a dance amongst the other cooks. Also, it was very much a real-time version of Overcooked. I remember putting the dirty pots to the side and thinking, "so who's cleaning those?" before being told minutes later to go wash the pots. Watch for dirty pots, refill the eggplant, fry an egg, grab a vegan sauce from the cooler, deep fry the Khao Soi noodles, wash the dirty pots, pour finished curries into a container - it was never-ending. It was my first time in a restaurant setting and though I perhaps would have preferred a different means of training, this was effective nonetheless. I must say they are incredibly generous there. The end of the night included picking a dish to be made to bring home (they spoiled me by letting me also take home a curry order I messed up), having dinner made for the entire staff before kitchen clean up, and getting a nice big tip. I'm set for lunches this week. 

Highlights from this week included;

- Introducing and establishing "Nature Sit Spot" - a time for students to familiarize themselves with their natural surroundings and enjoying the outdoors (while we still can). Go read in the shade of an apple tree, catch a bug in a vial or just go climb a tree.
- Starting The Wingfeather Saga as a read-aloud and listening to students laugh and engage in the book all the while putting my own dramatic spin on the story. "Avast, foul rodents!"
- Being told that one of my students cried upon hearing that I would not be teaching them math this year. You know you're making an impact when there are tears! 
- Seeing students already applying our class theme of trying your best, being your best and doing your best. 
- Catching up with a regular from a soup kitchen I met years ago after a 12 hour day at school and having an incredible, encouraging, and normal conversation. I got to witness to him and point to our Creator in our conversations and I learned that he builds harpsichords from scratch for a living! 

Teacher Reflections

Well
- Going with the flow and learning to go off-script without breaking a sweat
- Working with students who have greater needs in my class and being able to successfully help them enjoy subjects they may not like or prevent impending meltdowns
- Thankful that I am experiencing the joy of teaching again
- Building student relationships
- Deciding that agendas would double as journals for students - finishing each day with a mini writing prompt
- Being clear in my expectations (ex. where to put your belongings when they arrive)
- Balancing student discipline/classroom management while also being someone students can be comfortable with
- Following the Responsive Classroom model (ex. using the chime, teacher language etc...)

To Improve
- Getting my morning meeting time within its 20 min time slot
- Mediating student conflict during recess
- Navigating how to accommodate and support students with needs appropriately without being too lenient on things

Comments

Popular Posts