A Lesson From My Summer Job

"meeting King Julian for the first time"

This summer, I am working at Hands On Exotics as a Animal Handler and Educator. I have only worked about twenty hours, but I have already fallen in love with my job. It is the most interesting, exciting, and fun job i've ever had. My main role is to go to birthday parties, summer camps, retirement homes, hospitals, and whatever other bookings to do shows and presentations with my exotic animal friends, from ball pythons, to chinchillas, lemurs, cockatoos and kangaroos.

Every time I think of my job, I am completely and utterly baffled. I have no idea how I landed this job. The craziest part is that this is (what I think is) my dream job. This is the end goal. I thought there would have been more intermediate steps, but its mind-blowing to think I'm somehow already here before I had even finished school. This is all because of God's grace and provision. And to find out that I was 1 of the 5 seasonal hires, of the potential 40 candidates they interviewed. I don't know what stood out about me, I don't know why they chose me, but I thank the LORD everyday for this opportunity. I do not want this post to come across as boasting about myself, but rather a complete and full redirection to God's sovereignty and grace, because this was not accomplished by my own efforts.

As I have worked part time these past two weeks, I have been reflecting on where my love for this job is going. I think because I have been so captivated by it, I have started to grow a little anxious, from wanting to make my best impression, to making sure I work hard, and also being anxious towards reaching full-time status so I can get more hours, not just for the money but because I enjoy it so much. Maybe it's because it's "the dream job", i've placed a lot of pressure on myself, I think i've subconsciously thought that everything is riding on this, and if I lose this, it's game over.

Although the thoughts are hard to stop, but I have realized that this is the wrong mindset. As honourable as it is to be a hard worker, and to want to do well and excel in my position, when it gets out of control and too far, it can become an idol and be toxic to my faith and my life. I am pushing myself to remember to trust God, knowing that He runs on his own schedule. God will allow my full time status to come when He wants. God will determine if He wants me to stay at this job or not. I've realized that i've potentially become too attached to this job and it may be engulfing me and my thoughts a bit too much.

God is one who gives and takes away. Although this may be my dream job, and everything seems to be falling into place, God could easily close this door if He wills and I need to be at a place where if it is taken away, I am not devastated. I need to be okay with whatever that may happen, job or no job. I would think there is an issue with the heart if one was devastated by God's doing, even if it may seem to be against everything we want or dream.

With all that being said, I look forward to learning and growing in this position this summer, and I pray that I would be bold in my faith with my co-workers. I pray that Christ would be revealed in my actions, and that I would be a faithful witness in my workplace. I am so grateful and thrilled for the months to come! All glory, honour and praise belongs to my faithful and loving Father above.

Comments

Popular Posts