Summer's Come & Gone


It’s finally September, and here I am, moved in and all snuggled up in my new house in Guelph, preparing to take on my second year of Wildlife Biology & Conservation Science. I can’t believe how fast time has passed; and before I want to wish my summer farewell, I wanted to write a short but probably lengthy blog post on what I’ve learnt this summer and what went down.

If you’ve been reading my blog, you’d probably know that finding a job has been one of the big things going on in the past. I had started searching since February (which apparently isn’t early enough), and application after application, interview after interview, and rejection after rejection, I finally got a job this summer; in fact, I got two. I had to privilege of working with Allure Window DĂ©cor Inc, as a Flyer Distributor and as System Migration Assistant at Tyndale University College and Seminary while volunteering at the Reptilia Zoo.

Finding a job this summer was definitely quite the hunt, I can’t even keep track of how many I had applied to, but there were two major things I learnt and experienced that kept me sane and hopeful. The first was God’s sovereignty. I knew that He had a plan for me, even if it was for me to be jobless this summer. For instance, I was waiting on my job response from High Park at the end of June. I was on the verge of giving up because I knew the percent of people that would hire me for just July-August, or just August were slim. The day that I got my rejection email, it was discouraging but only hours later I got an email for an interview at Tyndale. This occurrence was odd considering that I had applied for it in April, and it was a job completely out of my field, yet I was still blessed with such an opportunity. The second was God’s grace. Every single interview or response I got from employers blew me away every time. I knew I had nothing to do with it; I just sent in my application; it had to have all come from God. Sometimes I would just feel unworthy when God gave me the chance to go for an interview. Time after time I was reminded of His constant love for me, and His faithfulness. How wonderful is our God.

Finishing first year of university was definitely a relief, and I was so excited for my extra long summer vacation, but little did I know that my spiritual life would be impacted. What had happened coming home, and for most of the four months was that I had fallen into a dry spell. I had no motivation to do my devotions, to read God’s word, or to draw closer to God. I couldn’t really tell what it was, maybe it was fact that there was no set schedule, maybe it was the supportive and enriching community I had had before in Guelph, something had just put out my fire for my faith. Being home, I really wanted to serve again in the church, and I asked my pastor if I could serve in worship, but he had advised me to focus on discipleship and community, which honestly, was a bit of a bummer, but now, four months later, I’m so glad I did.

I found the importance of discipleship and community in two different ways. One was through fight club, a discipleship/accountability group with three other men to share and fight our sins and our struggles. Throughout the two months my group had done it, we went through the book “Gospel Centered Discipleship” by Jonathon Dodson (which I wrote about in earlier posts). I was challenged with thought-provoking questions and in a way, I would say I was set free, as I was able to openly share with them all that I was going through. The second group of people that came into my life was my church’s softball team. I was not on the team, but towards the end of the summer, I got to go out to their games, support them and meet new people. I found a strong sense of community within this group. They were loving, accepting, and welcoming. I was able to share with them, and talk to them about our lives, not only surface-type topics but how they were doing spiritually as well. I’ve learnt this summer that we should be talking about our faith more often with our friends, not only sharing the gospel, but how we are doing in our walk with Christ, being accountable and being able to pray with them. I have to say thank you to these two groups of people because I think it was through them and the conversations we had that really pulled me out of my dry spell, teaching me to seek God not only through His Word but also through His people.

One last story before I wrap up my post. While working at Tyndale, the hours were flexible and perfect as I could drop off my mom at work, and pick her up when I finished. One perk was picking up my mom just as day camp would finish, allowing me to see my kids everyday. On the last day of the last camp, as I was leaving the grand finale, I heard someone call my name, so I turn around to see my kid from the overnight camp two years ago. I had comforted him when he was homesick and we established quite the bond over the years. He asked me for a picture, so we took one and I made my way out again. For the second time, I hear running and my name being called again, it was my kid but this time he was asking me if I wanted to watch him lead worship the week after. I agreed since I had served at the Children’s Ministry anyways during the summer and I would love to see my kid serve. Why I wanted to share this is because of two major things. First, the overnight camp was two whole years ago, and I’m amazed that he still remembers me. Second is that had happened nine years ago, but instead I was the camper who asked my counselor for a picture. It has come full circle. It’s amazing to see how God works and I’m so blessed to have been able to make an impact on His children and the next generation.

And that’s my summer. I remember before summer started, I had set myself three goals. I wanted to earn some money, I wanted to have some sort of experience in my field, and I wanted to work with kids. I had many chances to get the perfect job, for example, the High Park position allowed me to learn and teach about nature, work with animals and work with kids, it was the ideal package, yet God didn’t open that door for me. But after months of searching, and now looking back on it, God did give me all I wanted in the end. I had two jobs and I earned some money, I had volunteered at Reptilia (even though all I did was clean, but hey, its something), and I had served at church with the kids. I rejoice and praise God for what he’s given me and what he’s taught me over the summer. All glory to Him. 

Comments

Popular Posts