It All Started With Tofu

My poor car currently sits at a closed garage for the weekend. 


I drove to work at the restaurant and mid-shift, we ran out of tofu and so I was assigned to go get it from the ethnic supermarket. I took the 2 minute drive, ran in with my empty tofu package and sought after those bean curd goods - only to find out that they were sold out. I walked back to my car, put the key in, and the engine sputtered and the lights flickered. My car wouldn't start. But no time to deal with this, because I was on the clock! So I got out and started my three minute walk back to work. 


Thrown back into the chaos of packing and taking orders, while charging customers - all over spotty wifi (and so spotty debit machine), thoughts of what this meant for my car were pushed to the back of my mind. I was thankful that the supermarket I had parked at also closed at 9 so I wasn't worried my car would get towed away or anything. 


Toward the end of the shift, my coworker put me on the phone with her girlfriend, who asked me what happened. At one point, we suspected that I may have accidentally put diesel in my car, in which that meant it would be completely toast. However, she was willing to take the time to get a code reader and come down to take a look at my car. 


Fast-forward to the end of work, my coworker drove me over to the parking lot and we tried to assess what was wrong. Nothing came up on the code reader, which was a good sign. A battery pack was attached to my car to charge it, and after 15 minutes, my engine finally started. I just had to take it on a 15-20 min drive and everything would be okay!


But upon leaving, I noticed that the battery light was on and the stereo wouldn't turn on. I didn't end up leaving so soon. 


We tried to charge the battery again, this time with the intent of driving it straight to the garage because something wasn't right. The battery? I had just changed it back in March. The alternator (which converts chemical energy into electric energy to charge the car and its battery)? Another 15 minutes pass by, and this time, the plan was simply to get to the garage. The car wouldn't even start.


This meant a tow truck would have to get involved. After being put on hold with CAA, installing the app on my phone with only 25% battery left on my phone, I managed to get a tow truck and it arrived within 30 mins. The truck came, and now my poor car currently sits at a closed garage for the weekend. 

PSALM 9:1 

I will give thanks to the LORD with my whole heart. I will recount all of your wonderful deeds.

I am surprised by how calm I felt over the 6 hours this all took place. I was at peace, I wasn't anxious, and I credit that to the work of the Holy Spirit in me. On my walk home from the garage, I was amazed at how God was so gracious and faithful to me in it all. I give thanks to God with my whole heart. Consider his wonderful deeds!


1. The car died in a parking lot of all places

2. The supermarket was only a three minute walk from the restaurant

3. My coworker's girlfriend just so happened to know cars, and was willing to come down to see my car

4. The supermarket supervisor gave permission for me to leave the car overnight if I needed

5. I still had my CAA membership 

6. My phone didn't run out of charge while I was on the phone

7. The tow truck came quickly (for a Friday night)

8. The garage I go to just happens to be a few minutes walk from my home


Praise the LORD, my Heavenly Father who watches over and cares for his children, who provides exactly as they need, and that even in difficulty or frustrating circumstances, gives an unshakable peace. 


As I've talked to more people, it seems like it will just be a matter of replacing the alternator which is a $200-300 job. It's normal that these things break down so it was likely time to replace it anyways. So I'm hopeful that my car will be okay. Stay tuned!

Comments

  1. with all of the atrocities that occur in the world, god was so "gracious" to let your car die in a parking lot on this one night. do you hear yourself? lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts