Engaging The Culture

It's been just over a year since I posted my initial blog post regarding my struggles with same-sex attraction. If you've been following along, you probably will have noticed the seemingly endless comment threads as world-views collide and opinions are raised and challenged. If you asked me a couple years ago if I would ever engage the culture in such a way, I would've answered you with a firm NO.

I'm a people pleaser; and though it may not be perceived that way online, I am. Do you really think that I want to be causing conflict? Do you think I really enjoy offending people and being accused of "damaging mental health" or "oppression"?

"So why then do you engage the culture?" As christians, we are commanded by God to share the gospel message of Jesus Christ - that is that all have sinned before a Holy God and are deserving of hellfire for it. But by God's grace and mercy, He sent His Son, Jesus Christ to die and pay the penalty on our behalf, and rising from the dead three days later, those who repent and believe will be forgiven, justified and adopted into the kingdom of God. I engage the culture because we see Jesus engaging the culture in scripture, tackling the foolishness and sin of the world head on, pointing out lies and absurdity, rebuking false teachers, and calling out sin as it is. It is a command we are to obey and it is a serious matter, for souls are at stake and eternal consequences are imminent.
"For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written, "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart." Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe. For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block for the Jews and folly to Gentiles, but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men." - 1 Corinthians 1:18-25
Christian, we engage the culture for the glory of God and for the sake of lost souls. But remember that you're not their saviour, Christ is. In every conversation and interaction, always point to Christ and the gospel.
"For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to all who believe, to the Jew first and also the Gentile."- Romans 1:16
The GOSPEL is the power of God for salvation. Not your persuasiveness, not your intellectual arguments, but the gospel; that's it. And glory to God for that because we are so inadequate - I feel that every single day.

Not only do I feel and am inadequate, i'm fearful. I remember the first few times I bumped into those who opposed me online, in person. My stomach dropped and I was anxious as to how our exchange would go down. I am fearful of man - a fear that paralyzes one from taking action, a fear that says to God, "I don't trust you", a fear that I need to continually lay aside. Christian, we have the God who created the universe, who is sovereign over all things, who is only good, perfectly faithful, and who is with you at all times. The wicked cannot and will not thwart the plans of the LORD, in fact, God laughs at the wicked (Psalm 33:10-11, 37:12-13). So flee cowardice and put aside the fear of man! In the face of the world and its wickedness, be courageous and do what is right because the LORD is with you. "Courage is rooted not in ourselves but in our understanding that the LORD is with us" (taken from Tabletalk Devotional).
"The fear of man lays a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is safe." - Proverbs 29:25 
"Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the LORD your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you." - Deuteronomy 31:6
Of course, i'm not saying that engaging the culture is only manifested by being in facebook comment threads, but be bold wherever God has placed you. Be it at work, at family gatherings, online and offline, you are the salt and light of the world - salt to preserve the world from corruption and destruction and light to shine in the darkness (Matthew 5:13-16).

Be bold, but speak the truth in love and gentleness. I am always evaluating my responses; what were my intents and purposes when I made that comment? Did I do it simply to tick someone off? Did I dishonour them or Christ in anyway by what I said? Will my means of witnessing affect future witnessing opportunities for others? Did I speak clearly and lovingly or did I dilute the truth for the sake of "speaking lovingly"? We are to image Christ in all that we do, and it doesn't mean that we sugarcoat things or beat around the bush, but we image Christ by speaking truth because Christ only speaks truth. We will fail and we may sometimes speak too harshly, but I hope that our brothers and sisters in Christ will keep us accountable and rebuke us if necessary, and that we'll take ownership of our sin if that happens.

And just a quick note on the accusations made against me and other christians that hold similar convictions. It most definitely isn't easy or nice hearing or responding to such claims. How would you feel if you were being called oppressive and hateful as you try to speak the truth in love? I'm still trying to process some of these things; and I find myself thinking "am I really causing harm?" The reality though, is that society and the world today rejects God and hates the truth. They play the victim card instead of taking responsibility of their own sin, they are intolerant in the name of tolerance, and they redefine and twist words to give themselves leverage with their postmodern thinking.

For a world that toots their horns about tolerance and equality, they are most definitely NOT tolerant to any views that are different than their own. Just look at some of the comment threads. They call it hate speech, they call it oppression, when the reality is - it's simply a difference of opinion. Not my opinion but the opinion of the God who created all things, just to be clear. Does disagreement not exist anymore? Can two people not disagree and still be facebook friends? I have no problem with others holding to a different worldview or opinion, but if they choose to engage and challenge the biblical worldview, my hope is that they would be open and ready to defend their worldview (with consistency) when challenged in return.

But remember,
"Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you." - Matthew 5:10-12
And so soldier of Christ, as you engage the culture, regardless of how the conversation plays out, be faithful to preaching and heralding the gospel of Jesus Christ. Do it for the glory of God, trust in the gospel as power for salvation, be bold and firm, but gracious, loving and not unkind.
"Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God, who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began, and which now has been manifested through the appear of our Saviour Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, for which I was appointed a preacher and apostle and teacher, which is why I suffer as I do. But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that day what has been entrusted to me." - 2 Timothy 1:8-12

Comments

  1. An amazing and thoughtful read once again and thank for getting back to my last comment! Reading your blog posts has certainly been really encouraging.

    In the past, I always asked God why is it that I struggle with SSA. But this past year, as I began to be more open about my struggle with SSA with my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ, God also gave me more opportunities to open my mouth and share my faith with people on my campus. I came to realize that it is because of my struggle that I may have a better understanding of where the people who may either not understand or outright reject God are coming from. You're also right in saying how it's interesting how the very same people who preach "tolerance" are against opinions that differ from theirs, and I study sustainability and environmental conservation!

    But a few passages that have been on my mind has been 1 Corinthians 5 and Ephesians 5 such that we cannot avoid living in such an immoral world but as Christians and children of light, we are called to expose the works of darkness. To be done in love but without compromising Scripture.

    I take comfort that at the end of the day, it is not my own opinion that I need to defend/uphold but God's truth which you have articulated as well. I praise and thank God once again for your boldness and I pray He will continue to give you wisdom and that you will continue to be a light to those around you!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this was such a nice delight to read, even though its over a year later. I hope things have been going well for you - let me know if you ever need anyone to talk to.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts