Closing Remarks

It has been exactly a month since the last day of school. I've been back in the GTA since Canada Day and I can happily say that I have transitioned from a school/teacher mindset to a rest/vacation mindset. It probably took a week or so just to settle down and get used to days with empty schedules, but I did notice the shift in being able to take things easy and being able to realize that I can just take my time at a thrift store or on a walk because I didn't have to get home to think about vision casting or plan curriculum.

Looking back upon the final weeks of school, there was a lot going on. Many had asked me how I was feeling, especially knowing that I would not be returning the school the following school year. I wanted to feel sad and tried to take in the final moments with my students, but it was quickly overshadowed by report card writing, or planning the last few days of school. On top of that, the end of the year also signalled the end of a year that has been particularly distressing at school, so in some ways, I was looking forward to being done. 

However, the last days of school were sad. As cards and thank you's were coming in from my students, it hit me like a ton of bricks that no matter what I did, my final goodbye was coming and I didn't like the idea of having relationships end so abruptly and having that be completely out of my control. There were students I were looking forward to having in my class the following year, there were students I had invested in and wanted to continue to witnessing their growth, and there were staff that I loved interacting and laughing with day to day.

It's ironic because I remember crying the first week of at this school because I had decided to leave a familiar workplace and family and was about to enter a new season of unfamiliarity and uncertainty, and two years later, I am crying for the exactly same reasons, as a I now leave a place of new familiarity and community to pursue a new and uncertain chapter. 

The next chapter is very much uncertain. I am currently on the supply roster for the Upper Grand and Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board for next year. The supplying life seems especially preferable with the greater flexibility and lesser responsibility. Currently, the thought of committing myself to a class for 10 months sounds very heavy and daunting and I am relieved that I don't have that commitment right now. But I am keeping my options open - learning pods, outdoor nature schools, tutoring... Not only that, but there's been much growth and reflection since the first of July and it seems that the budding changes to this new season is just the beginning of something and have yet to fully bloom. But my Heavenly Father is at work, in mysterious ways, doing abundantly more than I could ever think or imagine. 

With that, I wanted to leave the letter I shared with my class on the last day of school.

Dear Grade 5s,


What a mature and great looking bunch. You’ve all done well this year and I hope you’ve enjoyed this year with me. I was so encouraged on our switch-day to see how you all looked out for the upcoming Grade 5s and were patient and helpful with the Fix It Grammar lesson we did. I hope that as you enter Grade 6, you will continue to have that same attitude, seeking to help and come alongside others, and setting an example for them and the students in the younger grades. You have been such a pleasure to teach. 


Dear Grade 6,


You will always be an extra special group of kids because you were part of my first ever class. I can’t believe I’ve had the privilege of teaching you for two years. That’s like a sixth of your life! As you enter Grade 7, it will be a brand new ball game. Things will be harder, things will be different, but I hope you will not have forgotten about enduring hardship and doing your best. I am confident that if you continue to try your best and put your best effort forward, you will do well! Never give up. I am so proud of all the work you’ve put into the past two years - do know that even though I won’t be here, do know that I am surely rooting for you all. 


Dear Class,


You have been an absolute delight to teach this year.  I remember that after that first day of school, I knew that this would be a special year of teaching that I wouldn’t want to miss (yes, there was a chance I was going to miss it). You know how much I rave about you all. As a class, I think you have proved to be very mature and well behaved. It makes my job easier and all the more enjoyable. So thank you for that. I’ve loved all the memories we’ve made and it’s hard to believe that our time together is already up. 


Grade 5/6s, thank you for being gracious and patient with me as I got my feet wet, starting off my teaching career. I’m sure you have seen my many weaknesses and I wish I could have been a better, more knowledgeable and more experienced teacher for you. But, like everyone else, we all have to start somewhere and only by trying and failing do we learn and grow. Thank you for letting me try and letting me fail. I have learned immensely from teaching you all. I hope you will also remember that, as you try and learn new things. 


As I look back on our year, I came across the olympic creed, which I shared in the monthly letter back in February. It says, 


“The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win, but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well.” - OLYMPIC CREED


So then, my Grade 5/6s and soon to be Grade 6/7s, whatever you do, whether in word or in deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ giving thanks to God the Father through him.


You are loved and will be dearly missed,

Mr. Chan


Teacher Reflections

well 
- One of my greatest accomplishments this year is teaching gym and music. Gym was never my favourite, as a student or as a teacher. It was hard to try to meet everyone at their different skill levels all at the same time. 
- I have also never had to put together programs for Christmas and Spring concerts. Our God is Good finale will be one I will treasure and remember. 

to improve 
Something that still challenging for me is figuring out how to teach writing and reading (and gym of course). Although I was glad that I found and used our paragraph writing assignments and Fix it Grammar curriculum, there were many times where I felt like I was not adequately equipped to help you all develop as writers and communicators. There were many times where I felt I failed you because I didn’t know how to help or how to communicate what you could improve on. 

Comments

Popular Posts